3D Collectibles Designer
New York, NY (HQ) /
Merchandising & Operations /
We’re looking for an in-house, 3D digital content artist to create digital collectibles and NFTs and produce refined art that appeals to die hard fans and collectors.
We’re the world’s first marketplace for digital collectibles and the gateway for mainstream collectors to fall in love with digital collectibles and NFTs.
You will be responsible for creating amazing digital collectibles that will make collectors yearn for more! Apply your deep knowledge of collecting mechanics combined with cutting edge visuals.
Launched in 2016, Quidd has a pre-existing community of millions of digital collectors, some of whom have been with us for over 5 years. Think opening packs of trading cards and stickers and pulling your favorite character, or super rare edition on your phone!
This will be your mission -- to design and illustrate visually appealing sets that veterans and casual collectors alike will rush to collect.
What You'll Do
- Masterfully create low-medium poly fully textured models using any of the top 3D software packages (Maya, Blender, Zbrush, 3DSMax). You are a master of UV texturing, and fluent in creating realistic textures from scratch.
- Some 3D animation, both fully rendered for web marketing support, and embedded in GLB files.
- Update existing 3D models in OBJ format.
- Creating assets with 3D Voxel editors.
- Learn internal workflow chains from asset sourcing, to creation, to submission ready exports.
- Learn and follow licensor guidelines and IP specific style-guide usage.
- Follow current trends in a variety of popular collectible genres.
- On occasion, interface with our overseas design team.
Who You Are
- You view the real world in terms of polygon count, specular and subsurface scattering levels. You also keep up on the latest and greatest of the 3D world.
- You understand various file formats and how to convert them while maintaining fidelity.
- You have a strong collectibles background, you have pvc figurines lining your shelf, you revel in various fandoms, love attending conventions and will buy 5 polybagged copies of variant cover comics.
- Have a strong understanding behind the mechanics of what makes a collectible product in pop culture, non-sport and sports spaces, both digital and physical.
- Steady in fast-paced, deadline-driven environments; we work quickly so you should be comfortable in a collaborative environment biased towards execution and iteration.
- Understanding of balance: you do your best work within the constraints of timelines and project importance. It’s about great art, released on time, with a production budget that makes sense.
- You love games, especially casual games focused on micro transactions.
What You're Good At
- Fluent in Design Tooling: you’re an expert in all the relevant applications and tools, including but not limited to Maya, Blender, Z-Brush, Adobe Photoshop, and After Effects.
- Exporting .GLB, GLTF, USDZ, and other 3D web formats and know how to get around typical problems during conversion.
- Flexibility of Style: you can bounce between various styles, from organic characters to gritty environments.
- Communications; you are skilled in communicating cross-functionally across overseas designers, marketers, and engineers; you can deliver compelling arguments around certain design choices
- Versatility: you’ve dabbled in a little bit of everything so you usually have a head start on anything new. If you don’t know something, you aren’t afraid to dive in head first to learn.
- Thinking in terms of process, efficiency and consistency.
- Complex character, physics dynamics, animation, lighting & rendering knowledge.
- A strong interest in how collecting is influenced on the blockchain, 3D NFTs are your friend.
- Previous experience working with well known IP’s and licensors.
- Sports collectibles knowledge is a huge plus.
What You've Done
- Functional: a minimum of 5+ years in relevant 3D designer roles for a startup, preferably for a digital/physical collectibles, mobile gaming, or blockchain collectibles startup.
- 3D modelling 10
- 3D rendering, lighting & effects 7
- 3D materials & UV mapping 10
- 3D animation (keyframe, bones) 6
- File format interchangeability 9
- Knowledge of Web 3D formats 8
- Collectibles background, collectibles and gaming mechanics 6
On a scale of 1 - 10, 1 unimportant for the role and 10 being critical: