Senior Software Engineer
Redwood City, CA /
Software Engineering /
Our mission is to move humanity off of fossil fuel heating. 20% of US global warming emissions come from homes (that’s more than cars!). The largest driver of home emissions is burning fossil fuels for heat. To stop climate change, over 80M US homes need to transition from combustion to efficient, electric heat pumps over the coming decades.
We believe for this to happen the world needs fantastic products that are easy and desirable to purchase. Today's heat pumps lack great design, make limited use of software, and are difficult and stressful to adopt. We are building a next generation, beautifully designed, AI optimized home heating and cooling system that is 10x better than what is on the market today.
Our founders recently left Google, where they had successful careers across engineering, design, and product management. As heat pumps benefit from unprecedented consumer interest and financial incentives, we are also backed by some of the best climate tech and AI investors in the world.
We are looking for an experienced software engineer to join a high performing team building the backend systems for our first product, an advanced ductless heat pump system.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- Proven experience (at least 5 years) in software development, with a focus on backend and/or embedded systems.
- Strong proficiency in a programming language such as C++, Java or Python.
- Solid understanding of distributed systems, such as multi-threaded applications, microservices, and RESTful APIs.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills, with the ability to debug complex issues and propose effective solutions.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills, with the ability to work effectively in cross-functional teams.
- Able to self-guide, identify problems and propose & implement solutions, to move towards a shared goal.
- Passion for electrification and home automation.
- Strong mission alignment around climate and decarbonization.
- Experience with cloud platforms such as AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud, and familiarity with cloud-native services like serverless computing, containerization, and orchestration.
- Experience with real-time data processing, streaming platforms, and data analytics frameworks.
- Familiarity with IoT (Internet of Things) technologies, protocols, and standards.
- Experience with embedded Linux development
- Design and develop scalable, robust, and secure embedded and backend systems.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams including product managers, hardware engineers, and data scientists to understand system requirements and translate them into technical specifications.
- Design and implement embedded and backend components, ensuring high performance, reliability, and scalability.
- Build APIs and services to enable seamless integration with different hardware components, mobile applications, and third-party systems.
- Develop data models and design databases to efficiently store and retrieve system data.
- Implement monitoring and logging systems to ensure the health and performance of the product and infrastructure.
This is an opportunity to join a highly ambitious team of people who truly care about the impact of their work. We are on a mission to accelerate a species-level human transition. For over a million years we've been burning things to stay warm. It's time to move to a better way of living.