Software Engineer - Denver, CO
Engineering – Acquisition
Quizlet’s mission is to help students (and their teachers) practice and master whatever they are learning. Every month more than 50 million active learners from 130 countries practice and master more than 300 million study sets on every conceivable topic and subject. We are developing new learning experiences by modeling how students learn and drawing upon knowledge acquisition, retention, and pedagogy in cognitive science. We are always seeking to help students master any subject by optimizing study efficiency and engagement.
We're looking for a full stack engineer to help us acquire the next 50+ million learners. This will include making constant improvements to our current platform which is built upon modern tools like React, Hack and Elastic Search making it able to perform over 1B learning transactions per week. The team's goal is to expand Quizlet from a US-focused company with 50M active users to a global education platform serving the world's 1.4B student population. This is a full-time position at our new Denver, CO office. We are looking for a passionate individual who will join us and help us drive more US and international traffic to Quizlet’s website and mobile apps.
Quizlet is a leading company in consumer learning technology with proven traction and huge growth ahead. Our business model is robust with two strong revenue streams — advertisements and paid subscriptions. Our ads business allows us to offer amazing study tools to millions of students around the globe for free. Our premium subscriptions give students and teachers the ability to create custom content and access learning analytics tools. Come help us scale one of the fastest growing and highest quality consumer learning brands, as we develop innovative simple-to-use study tools that help students everywhere.
What you'll do
- Build user-facing features and ship experiments using React/Redux
- Develop server-side code using Hack
- Collaborate with other Engineers to design and implement APIs
- Build automation and abstractions (such as reusable UI components) to improve development speed
- Architect and implement data fetching and state management systems on the front-end
- Work with Product Designers to iterate on the design and implementation of our product
- Identify and implement performance improvements to our website
- Participate in design, code, and architecture reviews
- Observe user testing to understand and improve usability
- Investigate new technologies that may be of use to the team
- Design A/B tests to learn and improve new user experiences through data-driven decision making
- In collaboration with the data science and machine learning teams, design and build out a browsable site hierarchy to let users easily find content
- Update ETLs generating sitemaps containing 200+ million URLs to improve inbound search traffic
What we are looking for
- 2+ years of experience building rich, interactive web applications
- Experience working on large-scale consumer websites, with attention to scalability and performance concerns
- Experience working with server-side code - we use Hack, Node.js, and Python
- Knowledge of relational and search database
- Excitement about the impact your work could have on the lives of students and teachers every day
- Experience understanding the implications changes will have on search traffic. (aka, SEO experience)
- Experience working on user acquisition or "growth" teams previously.
- Knowledge of service-oriented architecture and microservices
- An aptitude for experimentation demonstrated by being hypothesis-driven, metrics focused and eager to test and iterate
We hope you are excited about everything you read so far. We highly encourage you to apply for this position, even if you feel you do not meet all the requirements. Quizlet is always looking for amazing folks that believe in our mission and can contribute to our team in various ways - not merely candidates that fit a certain mold.
Quizlet's Team Culture
We are here to make education better and more accessible. We strive to improve the lives of students and teachers at every stage and in every setting. We have a bias for action, take initiative, and hustle to deliver results. We make informed decisions whenever possible but are unafraid to take calculated risks on great ideas to promote learning. We embrace challenges and see effort as the path to mastery. We’re constantly seeking opportunities to learn and we embrace curiosity. Quality matters at Quizlet, and we hold the bar high on everything we do. We sweat the details and take personal accountability and pride in anything that carries the Quizlet name. We speak up, jump in and work with each other to fix problems, and never say "that's not my job." We treat each other with honesty and respect, encourage vigorous debate, and seek critical feedback. We value diversity, humility, transparency, and collaboration as the best paths to our success — as individuals, as a team, and as a company.
Quizlet’s success as an online learning community depends on a strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We are actively working to build a team that is representative of the diverse communities we serve, and an open, inclusive work environment where all employees can thrive. As an equal opportunity employer and a tech company committed to societal change, we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Come join us!