Engineering Manager - Machine Learning Infrastructure
Mountain View, CA
Machine learning plays a critical role in helping Quora achieve its mission of growing and sharing the world's knowledge. We have dozens of machine learning models in production that power product features like feed ranking, ads selection, and recommendation systems. We use a variety of algorithms—from linear models to decision trees to deep neural networks. Our production models operate at a huge scale and help over two hundred million people engage with Quora each month.
Our Machine Learning Platform team is responsible for enabling ML engineers to solve problems at scale by building out our core machine learning infrastructure, which includes distributed systems, abstractions, and development tools. We're growing quickly, and so we're looking for an engineering manager to lead the team. In this role, you'll tackle both people and technical challenges—from shaping team culture and growing the team to contributing to company-wide technical roadmaps and leading projects. Together with the team, you'll solve challenging technical problems at the intersection of machine learning, distributed systems, and high-performance computing. Your work will have an enormous impact on Quora's long-term success.
- Facilitate the professional growth and development of engineers working on machine learning infrastructure.
- Work together with ML teams to set goals, define roadmaps, and build systems that maximize ease of use, innovation, performance, scalability and reliability.
- Advise on code quality, high-level architecture, and the adoption of new technologies.
- Collaborate closely with recruiting to grow the team, which includes sourcing, interviewing, brand-building, and onboarding.
- Work with other engineering managers to develop new initiatives and improve the culture of the entire engineering team.
- Love of the Quora product.
- 5+ years of industry experience in infrastructure or machine learning.
- 3+ years of direct management experience at a consumer internet or technology company, including hiring and performance management.
- Experience architecting, building, and maintaining large-scale, end-to-end machine learning systems.
- Passion for taking initiative and driving high-ROI solutions in a rapidly-changing environment.
- Ability to make data-driven decisions and clearly communicate with team members.
- B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. in Computer Science, or equivalent.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.