Engineering Manager - Infrastructure
Mountain View, CA
We believe that the vast majority of the human knowledge isn't on the internet but is trapped inside the heads of humans. All of us uniquely know about some things but other people have no way to access our knowledge. Our mission is to create a repository for all human knowledge and make it accessible to everyone. Access to knowledge plays a major role in the macro progress of a civilization and the economic upliftment of the masses — we believe that we will have a huge impact on the world if we are able to execute on our mission.
We have a wide range of technical challenges, ranging from performance to scalability. Leading an infrastructure team requires both a strong technical mindset to solve complex problems as well as the people skills to grow and develop the team. At Quora, we believe in fostering a culture with strong engineering values and goals as the key to building a great company and product. We use continuous deployment and EC2 so all code that gets checked in goes live to production within minutes, no matter what time it is.
- Lead engineers who work on our infrastructure/systems teams for the entire Quora service
- Work together with teams to set goals, plan roadmaps and achieve results across infrastructure responsibilities such as performance, scalability, reliability, environments and security
- Assess employee performance frequently and consistently, recognizing and promoting excellent performance while addressing under-performance
- Help engineers develop technical skills and with their careers, tailoring work and projects to their personality, skills and working style.
- Partner with other functions to collaborate on projects across the company
- Work with the engineering management team to develop new initiatives and improve existing processes across the entire engineering team, around code quality, technical mentorship, staffing, recruiting and retention
- Work closely with Recruiting to expand the team, including sourcing candidates, interviewing candidates, participating in conferences/events and on-boarding new employees
- 5+ years direct management experience in a consumer internet or technology company
- Previous experience with hiring and performance management
- Ability to inspire engineers to broaden the applicability of their solutions
- Effective leader in regards to driving cross functional initiatives
- Experience working with AWS or other public cloud technologies
- Deep experience in distributed systems and reliability space
- Deep experience with MySQL, NoSQL datastores like HBase or similar
- Strong experience with Python/Java/C++ and scripting languages
- Strong understanding of Unix/Linux variants, web network protocols, persistence solutions
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Engineering or a related technical field/discipline
- Love of the Quora product
- Conference presentations in the domain of performance and reliability
- Knowledge of application and system security
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.