Product Design - Intern 2019
Mountain View, CA
Each of us has unique expertise. Whether it's the subject of a doctoral thesis, advice for dealing with life's stresses, tips for what to do in a neighborhood, or reactions to current events, our knowledge has the potential to transform lives for the better. Despite this, we rarely think to share that knowledge with others. That's where Quora comes in.
We're creating a repository for all human knowledge. To do that, we need to design systems that make sharing knowledge rewarding and discovering it easy; that show you answers to questions you didn't know you had, on topics you didn't know you liked; and that scale to support the participation of the entire planet. Designing a global ecosystem for knowledge sharing requires a multidisciplinary approach and a diverse team, empowered to shape strategy while moving quickly and learning as much as possible.
Designing at Quora
Quora designers are thoughtful generalists. As a product designer, you'll be responsible for what you design from start to finish: brainstorming solutions, iterating on visuals and interactions however you see fit, and finally implementing your designs in code yourself (no middlemen required!). You work on everything from ranking to UI, from internationalization to moderation systems. Your design decisions are validated through A/B testing and user studies alike, as we value rigor and empathy in equal measure.
At Quora, interns work on meaningful projects in user-facing areas. Each intern is paired with a mentor who works closely with them to give detailed guidance on projects and help develop key design skills. Interns have led redesigns of our onboarding experience, built features like Reading List, implemented site-wide typographical revisions, and much more. From your first week, you'll be pushing changes to production, and you'll have more independent impact than interns typically do at other companies.
If you're interested in democratizing access to knowledge and are looking for autonomy and impact in an internship, we'd love to talk to you. Read more about product design at Quora or apply now if you're ready!
- Work on a product team focused on a major, user-facing area of Quora. Identify high-impact opportunities, design features in pursuit of goals, and explain the rationale for your decisions.
- Collaborate with engineers to define features and functionality, with other designers for feedback and critique, and with data scientists and user researchers to evaluate the impact of your work.
- Design interactions for new features, applying existing design patterns and creating new ones, across our platforms.
- Build what you design using a custom web framework developed by Quora that makes front-end development easy and efficient.
- Work quickly and effectively on multiple projects. Ship new features, bug fixes, and small improvements multiple times a week.
- A portfolio demonstrating relevant design capabilities is required. Applications without portfolios will not be reviewed.
- Technical competence with front-end technologies: HTML, CSS, JS. Experience with server-side languages like Python is a plus. (Designers at Quora code).
- Ability to think at a high level about a complex, social product, and to clearly explain reasons for new features and changes.
- Experience building clear, effective interactions to accomplish product or business goals.
- Demonstrated visual design skill, especially in the construction of visual hierarchies, and attention to detail on typography, spacing, and color.
- Interest in using data and user research to inform design decisions. Experience with effective A/B testing is a plus.
- The number of years of professional experience you have isn't important to us.
- Interest or experience in designing for ads, mobile, or user growth is a plus.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.