Engineering Manager, Data Platform
Qventus provides a real-time decision-making platform for hospital operations. Our mission is to simplify how healthcare operates, so that hospitals and caregivers can focus on delivering the best possible care to patients. We use artificial intelligence and machine learning to create products and solutions that help nurses, doctors, and hospital staff anticipate issues and make operational decisions proactively. We work with leading public, academic and community hospitals across the United States.
Qventus works with leading public, academic and community hospitals across the United States. The company was recognized by the 2019 Black Book Awards in healthcare for patient flow and by CB Insights as a 2019 top 100 Most Promising Company in Artificial Intelligence. Recently, Qventus won the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Emergency Response for the Healthcare System Innovation Challenge through its work helping health systems across the country plan for and operate in the COVID pandemic.
Qventus is looking for an Engineering Manager for our Data Platform team to help build the next generation of our data infrastructure and pipelines. The Data Platform team acts as stewards for Qventus’ data. We stream hospital EMR data to our core warehouses in real time, build out curated data layers to power our Healthcare AI, design and implement patterns to ensure the security of patient (HIPAA) data, and overall ensure Qventus data users have the tools they need to explore and power the Qventus product at scale and cost to improve the lives of patients and doctors across the country.
As an Engineering Manager, you will leverage your existing experience, intuition, and empathy for data users to lead our Data Platform team. You will motivate and foster team development. You will have the ability to make a direct impact on the company by improving the quality of healthcare operations. You will be comfortable designing, supporting, and managing cross-functional initiatives with technical and non-technical stakeholders as well as taking on day to day business impacting workloads when needed. This role will require someone with a keen eye for breaking down the tradeoffs between stability and pragmatic needs, and who can translate this internally and externally to the Engineering org and beyond.
- Lead and champion key initiatives from ideation, through design, to implementation to improve the end-to-end workflow of data users at Qventus, ensuring a high performing, scalable data infrastructure
- Collaborate with non-technical partners to distill requirements, challenges, and outcomes into technical, well defined, and communicated initiatives for the team.
- Hands on support in day to day development needs (expect at least 30-50% IC workload).
- Work within the team and the broader R&D organization to curate, distill, and drive economies of scale that can drive the team forwards efficiently and raise engineering standards.
- Mentor and coach team members to motivate high performance, growth, and long lasting Qventus careers.
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field, or equivalent training / experience.
- 2+ years managing and growing data focused engineering teams in fast-paced start up environments.
- Strong business acumen with practical experience working closely with data science and analytics partners.
- Experienced hands-on developer skills, can dive into the weeds to support the team where needed for complex system design or routine implementations; SQL required, Python preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to lead architectural discussion and break down complex technical components for technical and non-technical partners alike.
- Defined philosophy on software development and operational excellence - clean code, release management / CICD.
- Dedication to mentoring and coaching to help mature our technical team and proven ability to drive high quality engineering discourse and development.
Nice to have's:
- Functional practice with scrum team management and Jira or similar work tracking system.
- Design experience in data modeling and transformation pipeline design using modern data technologies: DBT, Snowflake, Airflow, Spark.
- Experience building and maintaining robust and efficient backend data systems with functional proficiency with AWS cloud services and infrastructure as code technologies (Terraform).
- Practical hands on experience with building large-scale, high complexity metrics and monitoring (ELK. Kibana, Datadog).
- Practical hands on experience with data visualization tools (Tableau, Looker preferred).
- Practical hands on experience with data science and machine learning pipelines (Sagemaker, NLP, Tensorflow).
Qventus is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Candidate information will be treated in accordance with our candidate privacy notice which can be found here: https://qventus.com/ccpa-privacy-notice/