Scaling Innovation Practice Internship
International – Scaling Innovations /
Results for Development (R4D) is a leading non-profit global development partner. We collaborate with change agents around the world — government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators — to create strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from knowing their goal to knowing how to reach it. We combine global expertise in health, education and nutrition with analytic rigor, practical support for decision-making and implementation and access to peer problem-solving networks. Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve everyone and deliver lasting results. Then we share what we learn so others can achieve results for development, too.
We have a unique and vibrant culture at R4D. Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the heart of our work environment and help advance our mission. Diversity—of ideas, identities, perspectives and backgrounds—is vital to who we are and what we do. We seek people who embrace these values and will help reinforce them. Our work culture is collaborative, creative and entrepreneurial. We operate based on trust and respect. Teams across the organization frequently collaborate on programmatic work and support each other in continuously building a better R4D.
- R4D is seeking an Intern to join the Scaling Innovation team, supporting the promotion of innovation both within R4D and within the International Development Innovation Alliance.
- Influence the development innovation space through the creation and diffusion of relevant information (knowledge, tools, examples);
- Connect actors working on innovation in the development sector to encourage collaboration; and
- Scale innovations that demonstrate great potential to address pressing development challenges, through supporting innovators directly and/or strengthening other actors in the ecosystem.
The Scaling Innovation team supports the design, diffusion and scaling of innovation to strengthen local systems and development outcomes. Innovation practice activity covers three key thematic areas:
Due to the COVID-19 global pandemic, this internship location will be remote. Once the organization has determined that it is safe to reopen R4D offices worldwide, your place of work will be either in the Washington, DC office.
Please note that R4D does not sponsor work authorizations for jobs below the Senior Program Officer level.
- Responsibilities will encompass a range of tasks including, but not limited to the following:
- Take part in weekly team meetings with members of the IDIA team (based in London and Boston) and learn from and contribute to ongoing projects and initiatives;
- Contribute to ongoing work with the Innovation Ecosystem Strengthening Working Group. This may include: consultations with Working Group members and partners, conducting research, or reaching out to actors in an innovation ecosystem to better understand their strategies, efforts and challenges in strengthening innovation ecosystems;
- Support event planning and preparation for the upcoming IDIA Principals’ meeting in May 2021, and an Innovation Ecosystem Conference to be held in Ghana in May/June 2021; and
- Support activities related to the Million Lives Club (MLC) initiative, celebrating innovations which have scaled to achieve significant impact. This may include development of web content, drafting of communications materials, and/or coordination of the application process.
- Review existing innovation resources and projects to better understand where there are gaps and opportunities;
- Conduct desk research and interviews with R4D program staff to capture learning from health, nutrition, and education programs and projects;
- Contribute to the development of resources and a curated reading list to strengthen R4D knowledge and practice in this area. This would include analyzing current and past projects, conducting a literature review and developing a short guide combining practical and theoretical knowledge on the subject.
Support the delivery of activities under the International Development Innovation Alliance:
Contribute to the research, curation and development of innovation tools and resources for use by R4D staff:
- R4D’s internship program is designed to provide students and recent graduates with an opportunity to gain in-depth knowledge and training about our programs and projects in developing countries as well as supporting areas of R4D. In this internship, you will build knowledge and skills in the following areas:
- Project management
- Innovation in the international development sector
- Understanding of a range of global development agencies and private foundations
Compensation and Length of Internship:
- This is a paid internship.
- R4D interns receive minimum wage as compensation, dependent on local labor law.
- This internship will be for a period of 6 months with the possibility of extension to a period of no more than twelve (12) months.
Eligibility & Requirements
- Candidates should have an undergraduate degree in a relevant field.
- Interns are expected to work between 25-30 hours per week during the 6-month internship period.
- Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the UK.
- Please note that R4D does not sponsor work authorizations for jobs below the Senior Program Officer level.
- Strong writing and research background
- Interest in international development, political science, or a related field
- Highly organized and with strong attention to detail
- Ability to work well in a team, manage multiple priorities, and work under tight deadlines
- Thrives in a rapidly changing environment
- Strong and effective communication skills
- Proficiency with MS Office
- To apply, please submit an application by uploadg your cover letter, CV, and a brief writing sample.
- No telephone or email inquiries please.
Results for Development is an EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled/Affirmative Action Employer committed to fostering
and nurturing an energetic, collaborative and diverse workforce. R4D provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.