Program Director - Market Shaping Practice
Dar es Salaam /
International – Market Shaping Practice /
Results for Development (R4D) is a leading non-profit global development partner. We collaborate with change agents around the world — government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators — to create strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from knowing their goal to knowing how to reach it. We combine global expertise in health, education and nutrition with analytic rigor, practical support for decision-making and implementation and access to peer problem-solving networks. Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve everyone and deliver lasting results. Then we share what we learn so others can achieve results for development, too.
We have a unique and vibrant culture at R4D. Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the heart of our work environment and help advance our mission. Diversity—of ideas, identities, perspectives and backgrounds—is vital to who we are and what we do. We seek people who embrace these values and will help reinforce them. Our work culture is collaborative, creative and entrepreneurial. We operate based on trust and respect. Teams across the organization frequently collaborate on programmatic work and support each other in continuously building a better R4D.
The Market Shaping practice (MSP) is dedicated to transforming access to, and improving appropriate use of, essential and life-saving products in a holistic and sustainable manner. We develop, iterate on and support catalytic implementation of long-lasting solutions at the global and country levels to address challenges identified by country partners and backed by rigorous analyses. We’ve applied our expertise to achieve more than a billion dollars in savings in countries and supported improved access to high-quality products in health, nutrition, and education markets.
R4D is seeking a Program Director based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania to provide overall strategic leadership and technical direction of our high-impact Market Shaping portfolio in Tanzania, as well as country office management role for the R4D Market Shaping Practice across existing program work and new business development opportunities. This position will report to the Market Shaping Practice Lead, a Senior Director based in Washington D.C.
MSP projects include:
· Increasing access to childhood pneumonia treatments through iterative market shaping approaches in support of government leadership and in close collaboration with partners and other key market actors in several high-burden countries, including Ethiopia and Tanzania.
· Transforming markets for maternal, newborn, and child health medicines and devices across five Sub-Saharan African countries (Ethiopia, Kenya, Nigeria, Tanzania, Uganda).
· Identifying underlying market challenges and opportunities to address severe acute malnutrition.
· Partnering with the Government of Ethiopia to establish and support the Quantification and Market Shaping Directorateto spearhead country-owed and -led market shaping investment in the public health system.
· Explore more of our current and previous projects here.
Please note, this position will be based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. Tanzania nationals are encouraged to apply. This position includes a local benefits package and does not include international relocation or expatriate benefits.
- Lead internal and external partner engagement
- Effectively represent R4D’s Market Shaping work in Tanzania externally and communicate our impact clearly and compellingly.
- Actively cultivate new relationships and effectively manage key ongoing relationships with partners in Tanzania, including the Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender Elderly and Children (MoHCDGEC), Medical Stores Department (MSD), Pharmacy Council, Tanzania Medicine and Medical Devices Authority (TMDA), the President's Office – Regional Administrator and Local Government (PO-RALG/TAMISEMI), National Institute of Medical Research (NIMR), supply chain actors, NGOs, private sector importers, distributors, wholesalers, and associations, and donor agencies and foundations
- Conceptualize knowledge management and communication strategies to promote the dissemination and uptake of our work and oversee the implementation thereof.
- Conceptualize strategic areas of impact and successfully lead the team in mobilizing funding for new opportunities.
- Represent Tanzania aspects of the MSP portfolio within R4D, and actively collaborate with others in the organization, including as part of R4D’s management team and country leadership forum.
- Provide strategic thought leadership and technical direction
- For the Tanzania MSP portfolio, actively manage R4D Tanzania staff to lead the structuring of analytical problems and the development of technical qualitative and quantitative analytical methodologies and products.
- Fully engage in and contribute market shaping expertise to all components of projects, especially when drawing insights from analyses and developing high quality and actionable government, donor, and partner-facing documents.
- Identify creative ways to expand current work in Tanzania, in close coordination with MSP and R4D leadership, and effectively lead development of relevant products.
- Effectively manage high-impact projects and Country Office operations
- Provide management of current projects, ensuring effective execution of all programmatic workstreams, including developing market shaping strategies and catalytic implementation approaches in Tanzania to achieve maximum impact in a sustainable way.
- Provide strategic leadership on the execution and continuous improvement of country office operations and finances, including ensuring compliance with Tanzanian laws and R4D policies and procedures.
- Oversee the development of project work plans and ensure timely execution of activities, including proactively and creatively managing problems that arise and anticipating ways to avoid them.
- Oversee process streamlining and efficiency improvement initiatives within the team.
- Provide people management by providing direction, input, and coaching to R4D TZ team members.
- Oversee relevant budgets in close collaboration with MSP Operations staff and ensure sound financial management.
- Contribute to the continued evolution of a positive and collaborative team culture that affirms diversity, equity and inclusion.
Qualifications / Requirements
- A highly motivated individual with demonstrated people and project leadership abilities, experience leveraging market-based approaches to drive sustainable impact, and
- A strong communicator with highly effective presentation skills.
- Able to demonstrate effectiveness in a highly collaborative environment, complementing strong leadership with the ability to build relationships, understand the perspectives of all stakeholders, and solve problems in a structured and creative manner.
- Enthusiastic about working within a culturally diverse team.
- Collaborative, approachable, and invested in enabling a positive working environment.
- Master’s degree with 10 years of experience OR PhD with 7 years of experience in relevant field (global health, health economics, pharmacy, medicine, public administration, business/management or similar). Preference is given to candidates with experience developing and executing product introduction/scale-up strategies and/or leading market analysis, specifically in low- and middle-income countries.
- Significant experience in Tanzania or East Africa, including experience working in the Tanzanian public health sector such as with the President's Office - Regional Administration and Local Government (PO-RALG), Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender, Elderly and Children (MoHCDGEC), Medical Stores Department (MSD), and/or Tanzania Medicine and Medical Devices Authority (TMDA).
- Demonstrated leadership showing strategic and structured thinking in designing and overseeing the execution of highly analytical projects across technical and operational aspects, leveraging findings to support action by decision-makers for ultimate impact.
- Track record of building trust, forging partnerships, and conducting advocacy across a wide variety of stakeholders in multicultural environments and across public and private sector actors.
- Strong writer and oral communicator who can lead the production of highly professional work products with demonstrated ability to develop and deliver compelling presentations.
- Experience managing teams across multiple workstreams and with ambitious, yet sometimes ambiguous, mandates.
- Enthusiastic about supporting team members’ professional growth.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, open-structure, multicultural environment and effectively handle competing time and resource demands for self and others.
- Fluency in oral and written Kiswahili and English.
Your experience should include:
Results for Development is an EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled/Affirmative Action Employer committed to fostering
and nurturing an energetic, collaborative and diverse workforce. R4D provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.