Chief of Operations, EdTech Hub
Multiple locations /
Domestic – Education /
Results for Development (R4D) is a leading non-profit global development partner. We collaborate with change agents around the world — government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators — to create strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from knowing their goal to knowing how to reach it. We combine global expertise in health, education and nutrition with analytic rigor, practical support for decision-making and implementation and access to peer problem-solving networks. Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve everyone and deliver lasting results. Then we share what we learn so others can achieve results for development, too.
We have a unique and vibrant culture at R4D. Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the heart of our work environment and help advance our mission. Diversity—of ideas, identities, perspectives and backgrounds—is vital to who we are and what we do. We seek people who embrace these values and will help reinforce them. Our work culture is collaborative, creative and entrepreneurial. We operate based on trust and respect. Teams across the organization frequently collaborate on programmatic work and support each other in continuously building a better R4D.
Results for Development (R4D) is looking for a Chief of Operations to play a key role in the management of the EdTech Hub, of which R4D’s Global Education Practice is one of the key partners.
The EdTech Hub (“the Hub”) is R4D’s largest and most complex education program, a global research partnership with the goal of empowering people to make decisions about technology in education. The EdTech Hub, which is funded by multiple donors, does rigorous academic research to generate new evidence, and gives evidence-based advice about how to use technology in education. We help decision makers inside and outside government in LMICs to make clear, evidence-based policy decisions to achieve maximum impact. The EdTech Hub has six focus countries: Bangladesh, Ghana, Pakistan, Kenya, Tanzania, and Sierra Leone.
The Hub is made up of a consortium of partners, with R4D leading the engagement and central services functions including finance, procurement, operations, and communications. The Hub aims to bring together individuals from all partner organizations to form a cohesive management structure. A focus on learning and adaptation permeates internal and external aspects of the Hub, with agile management principles guiding our operations.
If you are thrilled by the chance to lead the operations of a global initiative so it can execute against its mission with a backbone of operational, financial, and compliance excellence, this job may be for you!
This is an exciting opportunity to play an important leadership role on a complex multi-funder program with a variety of global partners. The Chief of Operations will oversee all Hub operations functions and is essential to ensuring the smooth running of the Hub.
The Chief of Operations will lead a team to provide the “central services” function to the partner organizations of the EdTech Hub, including finance, procurement, compliance with Hub policies and funder rules (including Foreign, Commonwealth, & Development Office rules), and knowledge management.
The Chief of Operations will be a creative problem solver; have demonstrated operations experience in complex, multi-partner initiatives; have excellent written and verbal communication skills; be collaborative; have exceptional team management skills; and be detailed-oriented.
This position will be based in Washington, D.C. or London and will report to the Hub’s Managing Director for all Hub-related matters and the Global Education Practice Director within R4D. Occasional travel (up to two weeks per year) may be required once COVID-19 restrictions have been lifted.
- Work closely with Hub Managing Director and the Hub’s Core Delivery Team to oversee the management of finances, procurement and contracts, Hub policy (including diversity, equity, and inclusion policies; safeguarding policies; etc.), and people services
- Ensure compliance with donor requirements and support R4D’s alignment with those requirements
- Manage contractual arrangements with consortium members, grantees, and contractors
- In close collaboration with the Hub’s Managing Director and others on the Core Delivery Team, spearhead components of donor reporting to Hub funders, manage Hub personnel to ensure accurate, timely, and compliant reporting on key metrics.
- Lead a team to provide friendly and excellent “central services” to the EdTech Hub including finance and procurement
- Ensure the smooth management of the Hub’s knowledge management systems (largely on G Suite), encourage knowledge sharing and flow, and document retention
- Manage and oversee Hub policy development and revisions to enable compliance with donor rules, promote adaptation and agility, and contribute to our learning culture
- Provide support to Hub partners to solve operational challenges as they arise
- Coordinate and oversee safeguarding policies and conflict of interest issues
- At least 10 years relevant experience, master’s degree preferred
- Proven track record of managing FCDO/DFID-funded commercial agreements required and experience with other government, foundation, or other funders preferred
- Experience working in development of lower middle income countries (LMICs), especially working in service of marginalized groups Prior management experience of intercultural teams
- Exceptional attention to detail and the ability to navigate complex partnering arrangements
- Experience conceptualizing, operationalizing, and executing on complex projects and workstreams; ability to set priorities; handle competing time/resource demands; solve problems and work in a fast-paced, dynamic as part of a team
- Significant experience leading the development of high-quality deliverables; excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated success in cultivating and managing relationships across a diverse group of global stakeholders
- Highly collaborative and approachable
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and G Suite
Results for Development is an EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled/Affirmative Action Employer committed to fostering
and nurturing an energetic, collaborative and diverse workforce. R4D provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.