International – Health /
Results for Development (R4D) is a leading non-profit global development partner. We collaborate with change agents around the world — government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators — to create strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from knowing their goal to knowing how to reach it. We combine global expertise in health, education and nutrition with analytic rigor, practical support for decision-making and implementation and access to peer problem-solving networks. Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve everyone and deliver lasting results. Then we share what we learn so others can achieve results for development, too.
We have a unique and vibrant culture at R4D. Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the heart of our work environment and help advance our mission. Diversity—of ideas, identities, perspectives and backgrounds—is vital to who we are and what we do. We seek people who embrace these values and will help reinforce them. Our work culture is collaborative, creative and entrepreneurial. We operate based on trust and respect. Teams across the organization frequently collaborate on programmatic work and support each other in continuously building a better R4D.
R4D seeks a highly motivated and dynamic Country Director. In this role, the Director will oversee all aspects of R4Ds work within the country. This includes strategy development, annual planning, business development, direct and matrixed supervision of staff, partner/vendor management and engagement with internal partners on global programmatic and operations teams. R4D country directors are a part of R4D’s senior program leadership group, which is responsible for designing and implementing high-quality impactful programs aligned with R4D strategy. Country directors work closely with R4D technical practice leads to design programs, ensure high-quality implementation, and ensure knowledge and expertise flows bi-directionally, from country to global and global to country. Country Directors are also key stakeholders in guiding R4D’s global strategy and organizational evolution.
R4D is a growing, fast-paced, results-oriented and mission-driven team. We are a supportive and flexible employer. Join us!
This position will be based in Accra, Ghana, and report to the Chief Operating Officer.
The Country Director will play a key program management, technical advisory and partner management role on all R4D activities in Ghana. The Country Director will serve as the day-to-day lead of activities based in Ghana and is responsible for ensuring that Accra-based staff work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders to implement activities. As part of this work, the Country Director is also expected to engage effectively with a multitude of stakeholders and play a key role in shaping the strategic direction of this work.
The largest program in Ghana is the HSS Accelerator, a global USAID Cooperative Agreement designed to strengthen institutions and processes. The HSS Accelerator is led by Results for Development (R4D) with support from the Health Strategy and Delivery Foundation (HSDF, headquartered in Nigeria), and ICF.
Over the past four years, the HSS Accelerator has worked with Ghanaian health stakeholders on activities to support the development of a self-reliant health system to advance Ghana’s vision for achieving universal health coverage (UHC). In June 2019, the HSS Accelerator embarked on a scoping exercise to explore opportunities for collaboration and has since worked with Ghanaian health stakeholders on a well-defined scope of work that has been implemented since September 2019. The HSS Accelerator is looking to expand its team in Accra to help support the implementation of other portfolios of R4D activities in Ghana. More information about our HSS Accelerator work in Ghana may be found here.
A successful candidate should have strong program management skills and a technical background in health systems strengthening (and familiarity with health financing as well). S/he should also be highly motivated, a creative problem solver; have strong analytical, communication, process facilitation, and collaboration skills; and have a commitment to excellence and producing results.
- Responsibilities of the Country Director will include, but will not be limited to:
- Lead the strategic development and planning of R4D’s country strategy and portfolio of programs, including identifying creative ways to expand current work leveraging R4D’s strengths and unique value proposition
- Actively cultivate and manage relationships with key funders and partners including the government, NGOs, bilateral and multilateral donor agencies (i.e., USAID, FCDO) and foundations (i.e.: Gates Foundation, World Bank, USAID), and other private sector actors
- Provide technical leadership in key areas of health, education, and nutrition systems strengthening and ensuring effective execution of all programmatic work-streams within R4D and the larger consortium of partners
- Lead all aspects of the HSS Accelerator activity in Ghana, and serve as a key liaison between USAID/Ghana mission
- Oversee and manage country-based R4D staff and project teams
- Mentor and coach R4D team members by providing direction, input, and feedback
- Lead new project conceptualization and current projects’ operationalization, including overseeing the development of work plans, the production of high quality analytical and technical deliverables on time and on budget, and hiring of new staff as needed
- Oversee, manage, and continuously improve all day-to-day aspects of R4D’s program in the country, including ensuring compliance with national laws and R4D policies & procedures, managing the program budget, and ensuring sound fiscal management
- Serve as a key member of organizational leadership teams, including the Program Leadership Group, Country Leadership Forum, and Management Team
- Create a long-term vision and growth strategy to map out and expand our work beyond the HSS Accelerator project in Ghana.
- Participates fully as a member of R4D by contributing, assisting, and participating in projects, activities, and initiatives as requested by management.
- Significant program leadership and management experience, expertise in global health and/or nutrition, strong communication, presentation, and facilitation skills, and an ability to think strategically and entrepreneurially about R4D programs and portfolio development are required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an approachable management style are essential to the success of the individual in this role along with the ability to work collaboratively build relationships, understand the perspectives of all stakeholders, problem solve, and create/foster relationships and forge compromises.
- Experience working closely with the national/subnational government and major international and local development partners is essential. Reputation as a trusted partner and effective manager by leaders of Ghana’s major health agencies will be essential.
- 15+ years of experience with an emphasis on health systems strengthening (HSS), including health financing and health policy; experience in nutrition, governance, and accountability, and/or other relevant human development areas also highly desired
- Advanced degree in Medicine, Business Management/Administration, Public Health, Health Economics, Finance, Public Policy, Public Administration, or related field
- Relevant experience leading or directly supporting large-scale government-led reform, including designing operations and successfully implementing complex programs with multiple partners and work streams
- Relevant experience collaborating with local partners and facilitating the organizational design and institutional capacity development
- Experience leading funding proposals and working with donors, especially USAID, FCDO, and Bill, and Melinda Gates Foundation
- Strong strategic thinking skills and an entrepreneurial approach
- Demonstrated track record of successfully creating and fostering partnerships and generating new business and thought leadership opportunities
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with experience leading the development of analytical products and ensuring high quality of all deliverables
- Exceptional facilitation, written and verbal communication skills; ability to prepare compelling presentations, and written reports, and effectively present work/findings in international and country-level forums
- Ability to effectively set priorities and handle competing time and resource demands for self and others, with an ability to adapt and manage change processes
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly PowerPoint, Word, and Excel
- Willingness to travel approximately 25% internationally and domestically, per project needs
Ideal candidates will also possess:
Results for Development is an EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled/Affirmative Action Employer committed to fostering
and nurturing an energetic, collaborative and diverse workforce. R4D provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.