Chief of Party
Addis Ababa /
International – Evaluation and Adaptive Learning /
Results for Development (R4D) is a leading non-profit global development partner. We collaborate with change agents around the world — government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators — to create strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from knowing their goal to knowing how to reach it. We combine global expertise in health, education and nutrition with analytic rigor, practical support for decision-making and implementation and access to peer problem-solving networks. Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve everyone and deliver lasting results. Then we share what we learn so others can achieve results for development, too.
We have a unique and vibrant culture at R4D. Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the heart of our work environment and help advance our mission. Diversity—of ideas, identities, perspectives and backgrounds—is vital to who we are and what we do. We seek people who embrace these values and will help reinforce them. Our work culture is collaborative, creative and entrepreneurial. We operate based on trust and respect. Teams across the organization frequently collaborate on programmatic work and support each other in continuously building a better R4D.
About The Position
R4D is looking for a Chief of Party (COP) for the anticipated multi-year, USAID/Ethiopia Resilience Platform for Adaptive Learning (R-PAL) activity. The R-PAL mechanism is intended to streamline collaboration, communication, and knowledge management for over 25+ USAID partners working to increase household and community resilience to multi-sector shocks in the Highlands of Ethiopia. Specifically, it is anticipated that this activity will 1) fuel collaboration and coordination to deliver collective impact; 2) support data- and learning-driven resilience investments; 3) develop local capacity for collaborating, learning, and adapting (CLA); and 4) test and scale innovative approaches.
The COP will provide overall leadership and management, as well as the strategic vision and technical direction for R-PAL. The COP will ensure coordination and integration across the many activity components and will serve as the primary R-PAL representative to key stakeholders including USAID/Ethiopia, the Government of Ethiopia, and numerous implementing partners.
This full-time position is based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and is contingent upon USAID award.
- Provide strategic vision technical direction across all R-PAL workstreams to ensure the integrated delivery of key objectives. .
- Oversee the design and implementation of all R-PAL activities, including co-creation of collective impact approaches, evidence generation, and capacity development .
- Build project teams with the right skills and then supervise and mentor those teams to ensure high-quality implementation.
- Manage relationships with a range of partners, which may include USAID, the Government of Ethiopia, and implementing partners.
- Oversee the development of workplans, ensure compliance with donor reporting requirements and other regulations, and manage the work of subcontractors.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Advanced degree in relevant subject areas, preferably in economics, public policy, public administration, systems, social sciences, health or education, or other relevant disciplines.
- 10+ years of experience in evaluation, research and/or policy design.
- 5+ years senior level international development programming including demonstrated ability to work with both senior in-country policy makers, governments, USAID Missions and partner organizations.
- 5+ years of supervisory experience. Proven track record of building teams and fostering collaboration in order to achieve goals, meet milestones, and produce high quality donor deliverables.
- Previous experience working on the design and implementation of capacity development/training, facilitation, and stakeholder management, particularly in the context of Ethiopia and in the context of USAID mechanisms.
- Experience building relationships with government officials, private sector actors, and civil society stakeholders; ideally, these experiences involved working with partners at multiple levels – i.e., national-, district-, and local-level.
- Excellent oral and verbal communication skills in English, including the ability to present complicated and detailed data to team leads. Knowledge of local languages an asset.
- Experience designing and implementing monitoring and evaluation systems using CLA approaches.
- Experience effectively communicating research and evaluation findings to stakeholders and facilitating the use of learning produces for improved policy and practice.
- A proven track record and experience in managing teams, as well as evidence-driven decision-making.
- Experience developing budgets, tracking, and managing resources, and/or supporting recruitment and program management efforts.
- Willingness to be based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and travel through Ethiopia (once COVID-19 restrictions have been lifted).
Results for Development is an EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled/Affirmative Action Employer committed to fostering
and nurturing an energetic, collaborative and diverse workforce. R4D provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.