Venture Architect (Associate)
Do you want to work in one of the most exciting corporate venture company? Do you have at least 3-5 years of combined consulting and entrepreneurial experience? Do you have a passion for creating, investing in and scaling new ventures with corporates and proven founders? Can you build relationships with senior decision makers at large corporates? If yes, then this is your opportunity.
Rainmaking is a global corporate innovation and venture development firm. In APAC, we co-create and scale new business with leading corporate partners, out of offices in Singapore, Australia and Japan.
Since 2010, we have invested in and helped scale over 800 startups via our industry focused accelerator, Startupbootcamp. Additionally, we've built 27 of our own ventures. These ventures have generated over £250m in revenues, raised over £45m in external venture capital, and had more than 70% of our venture portfolio returning capital.
We work with corporate partners to co-create new companies. Our model combines three core elements:
1. The scale strengths and deep domain knowledge of large corporations
2. Proven, passionate and empowered entrepreneurs
3. The repeatable science of building and funding startups
We launched our first corporate venture studio in Scandinavia 3 years ago, and now have corporate venture build practices in Europe, the US and APAC.
As a Venture Architect Associate, your main area of focus will be to identify, assess and validate new venture opportunities for our corporate clients and rapidly form recommendations on how to pursue the opportunity through a new venture. This includes:
a. creating insights into how macro trends and shifts in the competitive landscape influence the venture opportunity in that space,
b. evaluating how new business models can be applied effectively to create new value,
c. understanding how we can best leverage the assets of our corporate partners to create competitive advantage,
d. examining market size and building the business case of the potential venture,
e. engaging with customer segments via qualitative methods to truly understand their needs, and
f. rapid prototyping and testing potential solutions with the customer segments
g. creating an investment note communicating the insights generated to obtain corporate board endorsement
During the projects, you will be working closely with an experienced Lead Venture Architect and the future venture founder to drive the project forward and create buy-in for the new venture. You will have ownership of the deliverables to assess the venture opportunity of our corporate.
- At least 3-5 years of proven experience across management consulting, venture capital, startups, accelerators and/or venture building
- Experience or exposure to entrepreneurship (through employment, being a startup founder, being an investor or through work in a venture builder)
- Data collection and analysis experience including customer interviews, surveys, market reports, industry research, and analytical modelling
- Awareness, if not deep practical understanding, of Lean Startup methodologies
- Experience owning a work stream in a project and structuring analysis, developing recommendations and presenting results
- Program or project management experience, ensuring that deadlines are met, and operations run effectively and efficiently
- Skilled at navigating large organizations and experience working on multiple projects with cross functional teams
- Exceptional ability to communicate, both written and verbal, presenting credibly and effectively to senior stakeholders
- A strong intellectual with a willingness to continue learning
Experience and skills required
- Passionate: you ‘geek out’ on startups, technology, business models, growth engines, founder stories, venture capital, and corporate innovation
- Startup Experience: you understand and are excited by the highly dynamic startup ecosystem and have experience working in a startup, as an intrapreneur, in an accelerator program, as an investor or in a venture builder
- Team Playing Self-starter: you enjoy and respect the importance of being a part of a small tight-knit team but equally thrive while working independently
- Master Communicator: you love people, are empathic, and optimistic. You are an expert in interviewing and group/individual presentations
- Credibility: maturity and a proven track record, giving you credibility to present ideas and challenge assumptions in C-level meetings
- Multi-tasker: able to wear many hats, ambitious, and highly motivated and buzzing with energy. Record of successfully managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Perpetual Learner: always intellectually engaged with a thirst for knowledge and continual personal progression
Details of the opportunity
This is a great way to start a new entrepreneurial journey and learn how to identify and validate venture opportunities that leverage corporate assets. You will be working hand in hand with experience founders and venture architects, providing you with an unparalleled opportunity to build meaningful ventures.
Starting Date: Associates must be able to start in May 2020
Length: 6-month contract with possibility to extend depending on performance and opportunities.
You will become a part of an energizing environment. You will get to meet and learn from amazing people and accelerate yourself alongside talented entrepreneurs and rapidly scaling ventures. You will have a large amount of autonomy over your own role. You’ll witness the growth of ventures first-hand, getting a diverse exposure to the mechanics of venture building and how different business models and applications effect change. You’ll be a key part of a studio team that creates a huge positive impact through entrepreneurship. We believe in the ventures we are building; they are made to disrupt the norm and change the way people interact within an industry. You’ll play a significant role in that!
Values & Culture
Rainmaking has built a strong ethical codex. It encompasses not just what we do, but how we do it. Our values can be summarised as; be entrepreneurial, be kind, be impactful. It’s all about how you engage with people that makes the difference. Just as we hope you are the one to make a difference, we want to make sure that our values are aligned.
Please read the Rainmaking Culture Book here: https://rainmaking.io/RM_culturebook.pdf