Director - Rainmaking Corporate Venture Studio
Do you want to help build one of the most exciting corporate venture studios in the UK? Do you have at least 10 years of combined consulting and entrepreneurial experience? Do you have a passion for creating, investing in and scaling new ventures with corporates and proven founders? Can you build relationships with senior decision makers at large corporates? If yes, then this is your opportunity.
Rainmaking and the Rainmaking Venture Studio
Rainmaking is a corporate innovation and venture development firm. We create, accelerate, and scale new business with the world’s leading corporations and entrepreneurs. With eight global offices and a team of 280+ staff, we have partnered with over 80 Fortune 500 companies to date. Since 2010, we have invested in and helped scale over 750 startups via our industry focused accelerator network, Startupbootcamp. Additionally, we've built 27 of our own ventures. These ventures have generated over £250m in revenues, raised over £45m in external venture capital, and had more than 70% of our venture portfolio returning capital.
The Rainmaking Venture Studio is a company that co-creates companies. We unlock the unfair competitive advantage corporates bring to the process of venture building. Our Studio model is the combination of three core elements:
1. The scale strengths and deep domain knowledge of large corporations
2. Proven, passionate and empowered entrepreneurs
3. The repeatable science of building and funding startups
This thesis generates proprietary deal flow with an unfair advantage, allowing us to outcompete traditional VC.
We launched our first corporate venture studio in Scandinavia 3 years ago. On the back of its success we have recently launched a Rainmaking Studio Fund in London, focused on building new ventures, co-investing with a strategic corporate partner in each venture. This gives the corporates a much more reliable method of building new ventures in strategically important areas than trying to do it themselves internally. We do not charge fees and only succeed when our partners see tangible, growth from the ventures we build.
As a Director in the venture studio, your main area of focus will be on evaluating opportunity spaces and developing new venture concepts based on areas identified by discussions with our corporate partners. This includes creating insights into how macro trends and shifts in the competitive landscape impact venture opportunities in that space, how new business models can be applied effectively to create new value, and understanding how we can best leverage the assets of our corporate partners to help create competitive advantage for our new ventures.
This evaluation work leads to an investment decision by the studio and corporate partner, directly driving which new ventures are formed as a result. Evaluation of the opportunities will include market analysis, stakeholder interviews and initial customer development. Working closely with the studio leadership, the Director will proactively drive each project forward and will have ownership of the deliverables. The Director will evaluate multiple opportunities in detail, often at the same time, where a small number of them will progress to investment and launch.
Alongside the evaluation work, we expect the Directors, as pseudo-cofounders in the studio, to take a passionate and proactive role in helping build the venture studio itself. Example areas where Directors could choose to take a lead are as follows: creating an automated lead generation engine, delivering on our people strategy (both at a studio and venture level), and streamlining our cap table management requirements.
Experience & Skills
- Vast, proven combined experience across management consulting, venture capital, startups, accelerators and venture building
- Experience in startups (through employment, being a founder, being an investor or through work in a venture builder)
- Awareness, if not deep practical understanding, of Lean Startup methodologies
- Data collection and analysis experience including customer interviews, surveys, market reports, industry research and analytical modelling
- Experience owning a work stream in a project and structuring analysis, developing recommendations and presentation of results
- Program or project management experience, ensuring that deadlines are met, and operations run effectively and efficiently
- Skill at navigating large organisations and experience working on multiple projects with cross functional teams
- Exceptional ability to communicate, both written and verbal, presenting credibly and effectively to senior stakeholders
- A strong intellectual with a willingness to continue learning
- Passionate: you ‘geek out’ on startups, technology, business models, growth engines, founder stories, venture capital and corporate innovation
- Startup Experience: you understand and are excited by the highly dynamic startup ecosystem and have experience working directly in a startup, an accelerator program, as an investor or in a venture builder. You are emotionally part of the entrepreneurial “tribe” and not just someone who wears a pair of Allbirds
- Team Playing Self-starter: you enjoy and respect the importance of being a part of a small tight-knit team but equally thrives whilst working independently
- Master Communicator: you love people, are empathic and optimistic. You are an expert in interviewing and group/individual presentations
- Credibility: maturity and a proven track record, giving you credibility to present ideas and challenge assumptions in C-level meetings
- Multi-tasker: able to wear many hats, ambitious, superb organisation, highly motivated and buzzing with energy. Record of successfully managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Visual Eye: you have an appreciation for aesthetics and good design; able to create concise, insightful, and beautiful work
- Perpetual Learner: always intellectually engaged with a thirst for knowledge and continual personal progression
It will be an energising environment. You will get to meet and learn from amazing people and accelerate yourself alongside super talented entrepreneurs and rapidly scaling ventures. You will have a large amount of autonomy over your own role, effectively creating your own career within the studio itself. During which, you’ll witness the growth of ventures first-hand, getting a diverse exposure to the mechanics of venture building and how different business models and applications effect change. You’ll be a key part of a studio team that creates a huge positive impact through entrepreneurship. We believe in the ventures we are building; they are made to disrupt the norm and change the way people interact within an industry. You’ll play a significant role in that!
Finally, let's remember that “if we’re not having fun, we’re doing it wrong.” As such, we take our work seriously but not ourselves.
Values & Culture
Rainmaking has built a strong ethical codex. It encompasses not just what we do, but how we do it. Our values can be summarised through; be entrepreneurial, be kind, be impactful. It’s all about how you engage with people that makes the difference. Just as we hope you are the one to make a difference, we want to make sure that our values are aligned.
Please read the Rainmaking Culture Book here: https://rainmaking.io/RM_culturebook.pdf
Starting Date: July 2019 onwards.