Head of Rainmaking Trade and Transport Venture Studio, Copenhagen
Rainmaking Transport /
Introduction to Rainmaking Trade and Transport Venture Studio
The Rainmaking Trade & Transport Venture Studio is a company that co-creates companies. We unlock the unfair competitive advantage corporations bring to the process of venture building. Our Studio model is the combination of three core elements:
- Scale strengths and deep domain knowledge of large corporations
- Proven, passionate and empowered entrepreneurs
- Repeatable science of building and funding startups
We launched our first corporate venture studio in Scandinavia. On the back of its success, we have recently launched a Rainmaking Studio Fund in London, focused on building new ventures, co-investing with strategic corporate partners in each venture. This gives the corporations a much more reliable method of building new ventures in strategically important areas than trying to do it themselves internally.
We’re now building a dedicated studio in the domain of global trade and transport. An old-fashioned industry ripe for new ways – more green, digital and efficient. This is backed by an owned domain specific fund just launched.
As lead of the venture studio, your main focus will be leading the evaluation of opportunity spaces and developing new venture concepts based on areas identified by discussions with our corporate partners. This includes creating insights into how macro trends and shifts in the competitive landscape impact venture opportunities in that space, how new business models can be applied effectively to create new value, and understanding how we can best leverage the assets of our corporate partners to help create competitive advantage for our new ventures.
This evaluation work leads to an investment decision by the studio and corporate partners and directly drives which new ventures are formed as a result. Evaluation of the opportunities will include market analysis, stakeholder interviews and initial customer development. Working closely with the studio leadership, the lead will proactively drive each project forward and will have ownership of the deliverables. The lead will evaluate multiple opportunities in detail, often at the same time, where a small number of them will progress to investment and launch.
Alongside the evaluation work, we expect the lead, as pseudo-cofounder in the studio, to take a passionate and proactive role in helping build the venture studio itself. Example areas where leads could choose to take a lead are as follows: creating an automated lead generation engine, delivering on our people strategy (both at a studio and venture level), and streamlining our cap table management requirements.
Experience & Skills
- +7 years of vast, proven combined experience across management consulting, venture capital, startups, accelerators, and venture building
- Experience in startups (through employment, being a founder, being an investor or through work in a venture builder)
- Awareness, if not deep practical understanding, of Lean Startup methodologies
- Experience, and preference, for B2B over B2C
- Data collection and analysis experience including customer interviews, surveys, market reports, industry research and analytical modelling
- Experience owning a work stream in a project and structuring analysis, developing recommendations and presentation of results
- Program or project management experience, ensuring that deadlines are met and operations run effectively and efficiently
- Skill at navigating large organisations and experience working on multiple projects with cross functional teams
- Exceptional ability to communicate, both written and verbal, presenting credibly and effectively to senior stakeholders
- Proven track record of building successful products and high caliber teams from the ground up, ideally in current roles
- Experience and love for heavy asset industry – eg. shipping, supply chain and world trade.
- Passionate: you ‘geek out’ on startups, technology, business models, growth engines, founder stories, venture capital and corporate innovation
- Startup Experience: you understand and are excited by the highly dynamic startup ecosystem and have experience working directly in a startup, an accelerator program, as an investor or in a venture builder. You are emotionally part of the entrepreneurial “tribe” and not just someone who wears a pair of Allbirds
- Self-starter: you take charge and deliver on your own; pro-active and independent; you must be able to work autonomously, and you are also a team player
- Master Communicator: you love people, are empathic and optimistic. You are an expert in interviewing and group/individual presentations
- Credibility: maturity and a proven track record, giving you credibility to present ideas and challenge assumptions in C-level meetings
- Multi-tasker: able to wear many hats, ambitious, superb organisation, highly motivated and buzzing with energy. Record of successfully managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Visual Eye: you have an appreciation for aesthetics and good design; able to create concise, insightful, and beautiful work
- Perpetual Learner: always intellectually engaged with a thirst for knowledge and continual personal progression
It will be an energizing environment. You will get to meet and learn from amazing people and accelerate yourself alongside super talented entrepreneurs and rapidly scaling ventures. You will have a large amount of autonomy over your own role, effectively creating your own career within the studio itself. During which, you’ll witness the growth of ventures first-hand, getting a diverse exposure to the mechanics of venture building and how different business models and applications effect change. You’ll be a key part of a studio team that creates a huge positive impact through entrepreneurship. We believe in the ventures we are building; they are made to disrupt the norm and change the way people interact within an industry. You’ll play a significant role in that!
Finally, let's remember that “if we’re not having fun, we’re doing it wrong.” As such, we take our work seriously but not ourselves.
Introduction to Rainmaking
Rainmaking is a corporate innovation and venture development firm. We create, accelerate, and scale new business with the world’s leading corporations and entrepreneurs. With eight global offices and a team of 250+ staff, we have partnered with over 100 Fortune 500 companies to date. Since 2010, we have invested in and help scale over 950 startups via our industry focused accelerator network. Additionally, we've built 40 of our own ventures. These ventures have generated significant revenue, raised over £45m in external venture capital, and had more than 70% of our venture portfolio returning capital. Get an impression of what we do.
Values & Culture
Rainmaking has built a strong ethical codex. It encompasses not just what we do, but how we do it. Our values can be summarised through; be entrepreneurial, be kind, be impactful. It’s all about how you engage with people that makes the difference. Just as we hope you are the one to make a difference, we want to make sure that our values are aligned.
Please read the Rainmaking Culture Book here: https://rainmaking.io/RM_culturebook.pdf
Starting Date: April/May 2021
Location: Copenhagen, DK
Salary: Base + upside in the new ventures you help create