Lead Venture Architect
Do you want to build high-impact new ventures with corporate partners in APAC? Do you have at least 8 years of combined consulting and entrepreneurial experience? Do you have demonstrable experience of creating, investing in or scaling new ventures with corporates and proven founders? Can you innovate business models and build relationships with senior decision makers at large corporates? If yes, then this is the role for you.
Rainmaking and our APAC corporate venture build practice
Rainmaking is a global corporate innovation and venture development firm. In APAC, we co-create and scale new business with leading corporate partners, out of offices in Singapore, Australia and Japan.
Since 2010, we have invested in and helped scale over 800 startups via our industry focused accelerator, Startupbootcamp. Additionally, we've built 27 of our own ventures. These ventures have generated over £250m in revenues, raised over £45m in external venture capital, and had more than 70% of our venture portfolio returning capital.
We work with corporate partners to co-create new companies. Our model combines three core elements:
1. The scale strengths and deep domain knowledge of large corporations
2. Proven, passionate and empowered entrepreneurs
3. The repeatable science of building and funding startups
This thesis generates proprietary deal flow with an unfair advantage, allowing us to outcompete traditional VC.
We launched our first corporate venture studio in Scandinavia 3 years ago, and now have corporate venture build practices in Europe, the US and APAC.
In Singapore, we are looking for experienced, entrepreneurial people with the motivation and venture build competence to take the lead on assessing, validating and structuring new corporate venture projects.
The main area of focus for our Lead Venture Architects is to evaluate opportunity spaces and develop potentially high-impact venture concepts based on areas of mutual interest to Rainmaking and our corporate partners. This includes creating insights into how macro trends and shifts in the competitive landscape impact venture opportunities in that space, how new business models can be applied effectively to create new value, and understanding how we can best leverage the assets of our corporate partners to help create competitive advantage for our new ventures.
This evaluation and customer development work leads to an investment decision by Rainmaking and our corporate partner, directly driving which new ventures are formed as a result. Our Lead Venture Architects are tasked with proactively driving each new venture project forward and have ownership of the deliverables.
Experience & Skills
- Proven and demonstrable combined experience (8+ years) across venture building, business model assessment, management consulting and venture capital
- Demonstrable experience in startups (through employment, being a founder, being an investor or through work in a venture builder)
- Strong awareness and ideally practical understanding of Lean Startup methodologies
- Data collection and analysis experience including customer interviews, surveys, market reports, industry research and analytical modelling
- Experience owning projects and structuring analysis, developing recommendations and presentation of results
- Program or project management experience, ensuring that deadlines are met, and operations run effectively and efficiently
- Demonstrable ability to effectively lead and inspire small teams of high performers
- Skill at navigating large organisations and experience working on multiple projects with cross functional teams
- Exceptional ability to communicate, both written and verbal, presenting credibly and effectively to senior stakeholders
- A strong intellect with a willingness to continue learning
- Passionate: you ‘geek out’ on startups, technology, business models, growth engines, founder stories, venture capital and corporate innovation
- Startup Aware: you understand and are excited by the highly dynamic startup ecosystem and have experience working directly in a startup, an accelerator program, as an investor or in a venture builder. You are emotionally part of the entrepreneurial “tribe” and not just someone who wears a pair of Allbirds
- Team Playing Self-starter: you enjoy and respect the importance of being a part of a small tight-knit team but equally thrives whilst working independently
- Master Communicator: you love people, are empathic and optimistic. You are an expert in interviewing and group/individual presentations
- Credibility: maturity and a proven track record, giving you credibility to present ideas and challenge assumptions in C-level meetings
- Multi-tasker: able to wear many hats, ambitious, superb organisation, highly motivated and buzzing with energy. Record of successfully managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Visual Eye: you have an appreciation for aesthetics and good design; able to create concise, insightful, and beautiful work
- Perpetual Learner: always intellectually engaged with a thirst for knowledge and continual personal progression
It will be an energising environment. It will be challenging, entrepreneurial and at times scrappy. You will get to meet and work with passionate people, enthused by starting high-value new ventures. You will be valued, appreciated and believed in.
Values & Culture
Rainmaking has built a strong ethical codex. It encompasses not just what we do, but how we do it. Our values can be summarised through; be entrepreneurial, be kind, be impactful. It’s all about how you engage with people that makes the difference. Just as we hope you are the one to make a difference, we want to make sure that our values are aligned.
Please read the Rainmaking Culture Book here: https://rainmaking.io/RM_culturebook.pdf
Starting Date: Immediate.