Lead Venture Architect
Do you want to create new businesses and help build new ventures with corporate partners? Do you have at least 7 years of combined consulting and/or entrepreneurial experience? Do you have a passion for creating, investing in and scaling new ventures with corporates and proven founders? Are you genuine, honest and capable of building strong working relationships within your team and with c-suite stakeholders? If yes, then read on - you could be exactly who we’re looking for.
Rainmaking and our APAC corporate venture build practice
Rainmaking is a global corporate innovation and venture development firm. In APAC, we co-create and scale new business with leading corporate partners, out of offices in Singapore, Australia and Japan.
Since 2010, we have invested in and helped scale over 800 startups via our industry focused accelerator, Startupbootcamp. Additionally, we've built 27 of our own ventures. These ventures have generated over £250m in revenues, raised over £45m in external venture capital, and had more than 70% of our venture portfolio returning capital.
We were founded in Europe and now have a global new venture and corporate innovation practice that spans more than 10 offices in Europe, the US and APAC.
As a Lead Venture Architect, you will use your skills to identify, scope, structure and validate new venture opportunities for a corporate with the aim to obtain approval for the funding and launch of a new business. By deeply understanding the customer’s business, gathering insights and relevant data points from customers, you will define and shape the new venture opportunity. This includes creating insights into how macro trends and shifts in the competitive landscape impact venture opportunities in that space, how new business models can be applied effectively to create new value, and understanding how we can best leverage the assets of our corporate partners to help create competitive advantage for our new venture.
You will lead and complete the venture validation process from end to end and engage directly with the client and business units to identify continual support opportunities. You will help strike the balance between clients’ needs and business requirements and ensure all perspectives are appropriately represented. At the same time you will master Rainmaking’s corporate venture building methodology to become an advocate for it internally and externally.
Throughout the project, you will work hand in hand with a founder, selected by Rainmaking, who, at the end of the validation period will drive forward the venture and commercialize it. You will also be managing an analyst who will support you along the way.
What you will need to demonstrate
- Ability to communicate and sell new ideas and strategy insights clearly and using strong narratives to convince senior decision makers
- Sensibility for customer centricity - you understand how to creatively translate customer needs into solutions
- Team player with strong leadership skills - you take ownership of your team and their work and you are willing to help people around you to become even better
- Proven ability to manage multiple senior stakeholders (client/internal/market)
- Track record exceeding customer expectations and completing projects within timeframe and budget
- Ability to challenge the status quo while understanding and working within corporate constraints
- Great work ethic and attention to detail
- A life-long and quick learner
- Aware of different cultural sensitivities and with international experience within APAC
- Great match with our strong and value driven culture
- A structured mindset and are a critical thinker
- A hands on and self-starter working style
- Minimum 7 years of combined experience with strategy development, business planning and/or venture building, as well as quantitative and economic modeling (experience in strategy consulting, founding startups or venture capital preferred)
- Understanding and demonstrated practice of lean startup and/or design thinking methodology
- Experience leading teams
- Experience in a high-pressure start-up or corporate environment with exposure to multidisciplinary teams
- A bachelor’s degree (engineering, business, psychology, economics, strategy or equivalent from a top-tier institution preferred) or a master’s degree (strongly preferred)
- Experience in product management, UX/UI ethnographic research, or management consulting a plus
- Passionate: you ‘geek out’ on startups, technology, business models, growth engines, founder stories, venture capital and corporate innovation
- Startup Aware: you understand and are excited by the highly dynamic startup ecosystem and have experience working directly in a startup, an accelerator program, as an investor or in a venture builder. You are emotionally part of the entrepreneurial “tribe” and not just someone who wears a pair of Allbirds
- Team Playing Self-starter: you enjoy and respect the importance of being a part of a small tight-knit team but equally thrives whilst working independently
- Master Communicator: you love people, are empathic and optimistic. You are an expert in interviewing and group/individual presentations
- Credibility: maturity and a proven track record, giving you credibility to present ideas and challenge assumptions in C-level meetings
- Multi-tasker: able to wear many hats, ambitious, superb organisation, highly motivated and buzzing with energy. Record of successfully managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Visual Eye: you have an appreciation for aesthetics and good design; able to create concise, insightful, and beautiful work
- Perpetual Learner: always intellectually engaged with a thirst for knowledge and continual personal progression
It will be an energising environment. It will be challenging, entrepreneurial and at times scrappy. You will get to meet and work with passionate people, enthused by starting high-value new ventures. You will be valued, appreciated and believed in.
Values & Culture
Rainmaking has built a strong ethical codex. It encompasses not just what we do, but how we do it. Our values can be summarised through; be entrepreneurial, be kind, be impactful. It’s all about how you engage with people that makes the difference. Just as we hope you are the one to make a difference, we want to make sure that our values are aligned.
Please read the Rainmaking Culture Book here: https://rainmaking.io/RM_culturebook.pdf
Starting Date: May 1st