VP, Sales - New Ventures & Corporate Innovation
Do you want to help grow a high-impact company that creates new business and builds new ventures with corporate partners? Are you inspired by business model innovation and do you constantly see ways to apply it to the world around you? Do you have at least 8 years combined delivery and sales experience in corporate innovation? Are you genuine, honest and capable of building relationships with senior decision makers at large corporates? If yes, then read on - you could be exactly who we’re looking for.
Rainmaking and our APAC corporate venture build practice
Rainmaking is a global corporate innovation and venture development firm. In APAC, we co-create and scale new business with leading corporate partners, from offices in Singapore, Australia and Japan.
Since 2010, we have invested in and helped scale over 800 startups via our industry focused accelerator, Startupbootcamp. Additionally, we've built 27 of our own ventures. These ventures have generated over £250m in revenues, raised over £45m in external venture capital, and had more than 70% of our venture portfolio returning capital.
We were founded in Europe and now have a global new venture and corporate innovation practice that spans more than 10 offices in Europe, the US and APAC.
We are looking for an experienced, entrepreneurial VP, Sales in Singapore to work with our core leadership team to grow our business in APAC.
We’re looking for someone with significant experience designing and selling corporate innovation projects and structuring new ventures with leading corporates. You will likely have experience working in multiple of the following type of roles: corporate venture builder, corporate innovation consultancy, CVC, startup incubator or accelerator, startup founder, corporate business line owner.
You will work with our APAC CEO, COO and country leads to identify, design and structure high value, high-impact innovation projects with leading corporate partners. Your main area of focus will be generating new sales and opportunities with our corporate partners to unlock commercial value. You will need to be comfortable and credible working with and challenging senior decision-makers (C-suite, Board members, business line owners) at established corporates.
You will need to be a comfortable and compelling public speaker, a credible thought leader and a willing face of the organisation.
- Identify new sales prospects and grow key strategic accounts
- Develop annual and medium-term strategies, objectives and plans to grow profitability and company growth targets
- Identify the most effective sales channels and iterate execution engines to capitalise on them and scale impact
- Work closely with prospective corporate partners and Rainmaking’s Delivery & Solutions Support teams to design and structure corporate innovation programs and new venture opportunities
- Create and deliver proposals, craft supporting collateral
- Design and deliver sales workshops, speak at relevant events
Experience & Skills
- Proven and demonstrable combined delivery and sales experience (8+ years) in corporate innovation
- Demonstrable experience of working with and selling to senior corporate decision-makers and C-suite stakeholders
- Track record of having sold multiple high value corporate innovation projects
- Sophisticated knowledge of the corporate innovation and venture build landscape globally (and ideally in Singapore)
- Sophisticated understanding of customer development, lean startup methodology, business model innovation, venture ideation/validation, and corporate startup collaboration
- Strong understanding of the startup ecosystem: startup stages of growth, key actors, basis of venture building, etc.
- Demonstrable experience of the ‘startup experience’ (through employment, being a founder, being an investor or through work in a venture builder)
- Experience owning projects, identifying problems to be solved and structuring solutions
- Demonstrable ability to lead and inspire small teams of high performers
- Skilled at navigating large organisations and experience working on multiple projects with cross functional teams
- Exceptional ability to communicate, both in writing and verbally - able to present credibly and effectively to senior stakeholders and comfortable with public speaking
- Highly adaptable, a quick learner and a self-starter
- Enthusiastic team player that loves helping the people around you to become even better
- A strong intellect with a willingness to continue learning
- Passionate: you ‘geek out’ on startups, technology, business models, growth engines, founder stories, venture capital and corporate innovation
- Startup Aware: you understand and are excited by the highly dynamic startup and corporate venture ecosystems and have experience working directly in a startup, a corporate startup, an accelerator program, as an investor or in a venture builder. You are emotionally part of the entrepreneurial “tribe” and not just someone with Eric Ries and Peter Thiel on your bookcase
- Team Playing Self-starter: you enjoy and respect the importance of being a part of a small tight-knit team but equally you thrive when working independently
- Master Communicator: you love people, are empathic and optimistic. You are an expert in interviewing, delivering workshops and group/individual presentations
- Credibility: maturity and a proven track record of delivering corporate innovation projects and new ventures, giving you credibility to present ideas and challenge assumptions in C-level meetings
- Multi-tasker: able to wear many hats, ambitious, superb organisation, highly motivated and buzzing with energy. Record of successfully managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Visual Eye: you have an appreciation for aesthetics and good design; able to create concise, insightful, and beautiful work
- Perpetual Learner: always intellectually engaged with a thirst for knowledge and continued personal progression
It will be an energising environment. It will be challenging, entrepreneurial and at times scrappy. You will work with passionate, ambitious people, enthused by building businesses and having a positive impact on the world. You will be tasked with significant responsibility. You will be valued, appreciated and believed in.
Values & Culture
Rainmaking has built a strong ethical codex. It encompasses not just what we do, but how we do it. Our values can be summarised as follows: be entrepreneurial, be kind, be impactful. We believe that how you engage with people makes all the difference. Just as we hope you are the one to make a difference, we want to make sure that our values are aligned.
Please read the Rainmaking Culture Book here: https://rainmaking.io/RM_culturebook.pdf
Starting Date: Immediate.