San Francisco Bay Area
Welcome to Zenith
Zenith is a Massively Multiplayer Online Game built for VR that combines adrenaline-pumping action-adventure gameplay with a colorful open world. Think WoW meets Dark Souls, with an anime-inspired, JRPG twist.
As a junior content designer, you'll work directly with the founders and our lead game designer to implement compelling core gameplay features, including level design, quests, dungeons, and more!
This is an active design role at a small gaming startup, meaning that you won't just be writing specs; you'll be getting your hands dirty and working directly in Unity. You may even delve into the codebase and create your own game builds to achieve the optimal design outcome. You'll work very closely with the art, engineering, and founding teams to help realize the vision we have for Zenith.
We won't pull any punches -- this is going to be a demanding but incredibly rewarding role where you'll be pushed to reach your full potential. After all, we're looking to fundamentally change the way games are played. We're looking for passionate explorers that are excited to build something totally new together and all that entails.
- Work directly with the founders and lead designer to brainstorm, design, and implement compelling core game loops.
- Implement and design compelling quests and world events via our quest generation system
- Design, test, and balance enemy encounters.
- Balance progression systems, including loot tables, crafting skills, abilities, and classes
- Coordinate internal and closed user playtesting sessions to gather feedback
- Passion for games, and demonstrable experience and insight on the latest game design patterns, especially MMORPGs
- 2+ years of Unity experience
- Demonstrable experience in Virtual Reality
- Clear, analytical thinker with a proven ability to break gameplay design down into regular, reusable systems and articulate and document them.
- Experience shipping games for VR is a huge plus.
- Programming and scripting experience using C#, C++, or LUA, preferably in Unity
- Experience working on large scale MMO game designs professionally.
- Interested in startups or building a small studio from the ground up. (You’ll wear a lot of hats!)
$50,000 - $110,000 a year
The pay range for this US-based position at the start of employment is expected to be between $50,000 and $110,000 per year. However, base pay may vary further depending on individualized factors for candidates, such as location, job-related knowledge, skills, experience, and other objective business considerations. Subject to those same considerations, the total compensation package for full-time positions may also include other elements, including a bonus and/or equity awards, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits.
About Ramen VR
Have you heard of Ready Player One? Well, we're building it for real people:
We're building the next reality featuring an infinite universe where millions of people can build new lives together in a gorgeous, cyberpunk and inspired world. We're starting with Zenith, a massively multiplayer online roleplaying game out on all major VR platform.
Ramen VR was started in early 2019 in the Bay Area by Andy and Lauren, gaming tech engineers with decades of combined experience at Google, Unity, OpenFeint, and some very successful mobile and social games.
We're funded by some of the best investors and gaming entrepreneurs in the world including YCombinator, The Makers Fund, Twitch COO Kevin Lin, and Kabam Cofounder Holly Liu and also the most successful VR Gaming Kickstarter of all time.
We believe great games change the world for the better. Great games inspire creativity, teach grit, and most importantly, build community.
Why Work At Ramen VR?
Create the next reality
Every startup claims they are changing the world. How often do you find one that's building an entirely new reality? Also, we're such a small team, that you'll be working from and learning directly from the founders every day.
We Love Games
Have a favorite game coming out? Take a day off on launch day. We'll even buy you the deluxe version of the game. Play the game, and just do a short write-up to teach us what you learned. Join weekly game lunches where we bond and play games together as a team.
Travel somewhere in the world with us, and live in a big house together for a week, all expenses paid. Spend time working, playing games, exploring a new country, and growing together.
For full-time employees, we offer unlimited PTO, full coverage health insurance (for you and dependents) if you're based in the US, an annual health & wellness stipend for non-US based folks, annual tech stipends to use towards VR or equipment and more.