Director of QA & QC
Austin, TX /
Co-founded by The University of Texas alumni Brian Murphy & Quentin Cantu, Ranch Rider was conceived in the back of a food truck, and launched officially in January of 2020. On a search for shift drinks that weren’t loaded with sugar or artificial sweeteners, they began mixing and taste-testing beverages with premium spirits, and fresh citrus to share with their friends & customers. The brand has since seen a considerable amount of initial growth and success throughout Texas and is expanding into new markets.
Ranch Rider Spirits Co. is a spirit-based RTD brand that became one of the fastest growing brands in the category (#1 canned cocktail in TX). We have a hybrid production model in that we will produce half of this year's volume out of our own facility in Dripping Springs and the other half across a few different co-packers. Given our growth we are in need of a food science/commercialization specialist who can help optimize our QA, QC, & overall manufacturing processes across different production centers. This person will be responsible for devising, implementing, and ensuring sound manufacturing SOPs at all production centers in an effort to make all Ranch Rider product everywhere as consistent & stable as possible. Food science or biochemistry background required. Beverage experience preferred but not required.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for our Quality and Food Safety program for both internal and co-manufacturing, and external warehousing partners
- Partner and collaborate with internal and contract Manufacturers to ensure company Food Safety and Quality Standards are met.
- Provide regular on-site Quality and Food Safety technical support for production, trials and qualifications of new equipment, processes, and products at both internal and contract manufacturers.
- Serve as the technical expert for ingredient management, processing, packaging, and warehousing
- Verify compliance of batching protocols and records with regulatory, food safety and quality standards.
- Coordinate and guide improvements to the Quality and Food Safety programs
- Perform Quality and Food Safety inspections and audits
- Review batching and packaging quality records for compliance to TTB regulations and quality standards.
- Monitor implementation of qualification plans for new equipment and processes.
- Calculate, track and report quality performance metrics (KPI’s), quality agreements and assist with and verify corrections and improvements.
- Establish and maintain a transparent positive rapport with the contract manufacturer regarding quality and food safety risks, remedies, and performance.
- Support and verify improvements in partners Food Safety and Quality Management processes and systems.
- HACCP, and PCQI certification preferred
- 3+ years of experience in high speed, multi-sku beverage manufacturing and packaging facility.
- Working knowledge of FDA regulations and FSMA
- Experience with of Food Safety Plans and Quality Systems
- Extensive applied knowledge/experience operating and maintaining laboratory instrumentation such as: GC, GCMS, HPLC, Alkalizer, Auto-titrator, ICP, PCR, etc.
- Working knowledge of TTB requirements for alcoholic beverages including tax policy, state and federal regulations, SOP and COLA approvals.
- Hands on quality and food safety experience in food and beverage manufacturing
- Working knowledge of SPC and manufacturing applications
- Familiarity with auditing; Auditing Certification preferred
- Experience with structured problems solving teams
- Independent, self-motivated individual capable of working remotely and in various locations
- Ability to travel up to 50%
- Familiarity with Supplier Quality Management, Internal Manufacturing, and Contract Manufacturing
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Experience in Supply Chain functions other than Quality a plus
- Proven successes in building and maintaining positive relationships
- Comfortable in a fast paced high-growth environment with the ability to quickly solve problems as they arise.