Mountain View, CA
Range Energy is a rapidly growing startup dedicated to accelerating the electrification of commercial transportation through innovative solutions. Our mission is to create a cleaner transportation future by revolutionizing the heavy trucking industry. We are looking for a talented Controls Engineer to join our dynamic engineering team, focusing on the development of innovative powertrain systems for our electrified trailer platform. The successful candidate will play a critical role in ensuring the robustness, efficiency, and safety of our products.
- Design, develop, document, and implement real-time control algorithms for vehicle systems and associated electric powertrain controls.
- Collaborate closely with the software and hardware engineering teams to integrate controls solutions into the overall EV powertrain system.
- Perform simulations and model-based design using tools such as Python, CarMaker, etc.
- Develop full vehicle functions across multiple systems and state machines.
- Plan and conduct testing, calibration, and validation of control systems on dyno setups, test benches, and in-vehicle to ensure optimal performance.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to define powertrain requirements, and to ensure that the controls solutions meet or exceed these requirements.
- Troubleshoot and resolve control-related issues encountered during testing and/or in the field.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Control Systems, or a related field. Master’s degree is a plus.
- 5 years of experience in control system development, preferably within the automotive or electric vehicle industry.
- Intuitive understanding of physics and controls calibration methods.
- Strong understanding of electric powertrain components, including electric motors, inverters, and battery management systems.
- Familiarity with CAN and/or other vehicle communication protocols.
- Ability to directly write production controls code (C++, python) without relying on Matlab/Simulink or similar auto-code generation tools.
- Experience with functional safety standards, particularly ISO 26262.
- Expertise with control strategies for electric vehicles, including vehicle dynamics interaction with propulsion and braking controls, energy management, and thermal controls.
Range Energy’s compensation package includes a competitive salary, equity for all full-time roles, and a generous benefits package. The salary range for Mountain View, CA based applicants is between $178,000 - $205,000 USD annually. The total compensation will be determined based on multiple factors including domain knowledge, experience and location.
Range Energy values applicants of all different backgrounds, experiences, and skill sets. If you think you could excel in this role (regardless if you meet all the qualifications), we encourage you to apply. Range Energy is an equal opportunity employer which means that we consider applicants for hire and make employment decisions without unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, disability, age, genetic information, or other legally protected status. Range Energy is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to job applicants who request an accommodation. If you need a reasonable accommodation, please contact our Talent Acquisition team at firstname.lastname@example.org
About Range Energy
Range Energy (Range) is accelerating the electrification of commercial transportation via powered trailers for the heavy duty truck market. With a solution that can easily hook up to any tow vehicle, Range’s powered trailers can rapidly ease the transition to electrification and meet its commercial partners' immediate needs and long-term ambitions.
At Range, we are a community of makers, doers, and creators. Our ultimate mission is to make towing cleaner, safer, and more efficient. In order to achieve that, we must be obsessed with simplifying complexity. The dedication we have for the innovative work we’re doing each day is driven by empathy for our customers. We celebrate creativity, tolerate risk, and believe in the unique advantages of speed to market.
Range was founded in 2021 and is led by a team with a breadth of EV industry expertise from Tesla, Zoox, Honda, and more. We’ve got deep experience rapidly making revolutionary vehicles - and their enabling technologies - a reality at scale. Our company is backed by leading investors including UP Partners, R7, Yamaha Motor Ventures, and more. Join us!
Range Energy participates in E-Verify in the United States. Range Energy will provide the U.S. Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.