Backend Engineer (Senior)
Los Angeles or Remote /
In a world where many social apps measure their success by time spent online, Raya is a technology company focused on providing utility. Our iOS only app is a tool for discovery of and access to exciting people, events, opportunities and recommendations globally. We believe that by marrying great software with a membership based community built around core values of trust, creativity, and reciprocity, we can provide solutions that have heretofore been impossible.
Senior Backend Engineers at Raya love backend engineering and have been recognized as leaders in past roles! You are excited to work in a Node codebase. The ideal candidate will have had 3 or 4 years of experience and grown within the organization, demonstrating both loyalty and leadership. You will join the backend team and have all the excitement and accountability that comes from joining a fast growing, well funded, Los Angeles startup.
Raya’s team includes the 3rd designer of Facebook, one of the first 10 engineers at Venmo, the PM who launched the like button, the engineer who founded Flipagram and a lot of other amazing people. We prioritize learning and teamwork and love giving people the opportunity to champion big challenges and grow into better versions of themselves. A great candidate is excited to support the backend team's initiatives in messaging, connecting, and location based maps initiatives. They are diligent and designs software architecture in a scalable manner. Finally, they believe in Raya’s vision, which is to enrich lives by fostering relationships through quality, in person interactions.
We offer comprehensive medical and dental coverage, $50 a day food delivery budget, equity based employment, a great culture, learning opportunities, unlimited vacation, 12 weeks paid parental leave, and we pay all employees $1,000 a year to go somewhere in the world that they’ve never been because of our values of human connection, empathy, and curiosity. You can see more at the bottom of our careers page: https://careers.rayatheapp.com/
- Product Ownership: Lead key components of our Core Services, including People Recommendations Engines
- Data Engineering: Apply your in-depth knowledge with databases such as PostGres, MongoDB, SQL, and ElasticSearch to supercharge our application's performance and reliability
- Collaboration: Work hand-in-hand with cross-functional teams, ranging from UX designers to data scientists, ensuring our solutions are holistic and user-centric
- Continuous Learning: Stay updated with the latest in Raya's tech ecosystem, ensuring our solutions are scalable, maintainable, and innovative
- User-Centric Development: Prioritize and advocate for top-tier user experiences, utilizing feedback loops and data-driven methodologies to define and refine product features
- Operational Excellence: Navigate the full Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC), ensuring agile methodologies, CI/CD practices, and Raya's best practices are integrated into all development phases
- A BS/MS in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Software Engineering or a related technical field (Professional Experience can be substituted for candidates with non-engineering educational backgrounds or experience with software-specific training courses/programs)
- 3+ years of hands-on experience in modern software development environments, with a track record of delivering scalable and maintainable systems
- Demonstrated expertise in system design, architecture, and mastery in at least one software programming language, ex. JS, Golang, Python, C++, etc.
- Familiarity or eagerness to embrace Raya's technology ethos and practices
- Strong collaborative instincts, emphasizing open communication, transparency, and cross-team interaction
What Sets You Apart
- Visionary: You think beyond the present, anticipating future technological trends and their implications on the Raya Community.
- Empathetic Leader: You naturally resonate with colleagues, users, and collaborative teams, fostering a culture of understanding and innovation
- Growth-Oriented: You possess a perpetual learner's mindset, open to challenges, and always seeking opportunities to expand your technical horizons
- Impact-Driven: With a knack for identifying the 'big picture', you prioritize tasks that maximize impact, aligning with Raya’s overarching goals