Designer Who Codes (Product)
San Francisco, CA /
At ReadMe, we’re committed to cultivating a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome people of all backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work. We'd love to have you come join us here!
We’re flexible on the location of this role (on-site, hybrid, or full-time remote).
Heya. I’m Tony and I work on design at ReadMe. Our team is looking for a product designer who codes!
We're a small team of humans (and one owl 🦉) working together to shape the developer landscape through documentation—and we’re growing! That’s where you come in. We’re looking for a new member of the design team who finds joy in working with code.
As a product designer at ReadMe, you’ll be working closely with:
😁 Our head of product, Marc, who grew up in the frozen tundra of northern Minnesota. He’s sometimes seen yelling at one of his cats to get out of the way of the TV.
🥸 Our designer, Ryan, currently residing in SF, but sometimes you can find him traveling in his van (Bertha).
🤓 And me—I grew up collecting holographic MUNI passes, but now I just collect plants.
We want designers at ReadMe to understand the needs of developers, and deliver solutions to their problems. That involves talking to customers, designing, and coding. If that sounds vague, that’s because there’s room at ReadMe for you to flex design muscles where you’re the expert, and to practice new things—it’s your journey!
✅ Things you might choose to do at ReadMe
- Work with our amazing Customer Experience team to get to know our customers.
- Work with Marc to research solutions.
- Build prototypes in Figma.
- Contribute to our shared UI library (in code and Figma)!
- Help us hire and build our design culture.
- Add easter eggs to our homepage.
- Add a bit of whimsy whenever possible! :)
💙 You'll love this job if you’re...
- Curious about hearing what customers have to say, and solving developer problems.
- Interested in working in code—you should already find joy in working with CSS. It’s okay if you don’t feel like you’re an expert, we can help you get there!
🌱 How you’ll grow in one month
- Become familiar with the product, APIs, and how we think about design.
- Learn that we really do have an owl drawing for everything.
- Contribute to our projects, help polish the product, and merge your first PR.
- Support and collaborate with your fellow designers in design reviews.
🌳 Your first year!
- Join us on a few off-sites!
- Lead projects from concept through execution.
- Be an owner of ReadMe’s product vision.
🛣 What’s the hiring process like?
- Send us your portfolio! We’re excited to see work you’re proud of and passionate about.
- First, you'll have a 30 minute phone call with Tony, Head of Design. We’re excited to hear your story and tell you more about the role and who we are!
- Next will be a second 30 minute phone interview, where you’ll get to meet Marc and get to know ReadMe a little better.
- We’ve saved the best for last! We’ll invite you to an "onsite" interview conducted over Zoom. These usually take 3.5 to 5 hours including an hour break in between. We are able to be flexible with the schedule and split it up over two days if that works best for you! We start with a 15-minute get-to-know-ya, and then have you talk with people one-on-one in the afternoon. This will include a portfolio review and/or a Work On Your Own Project interview.
- We’ll let you know how things went within a week! If it still seems like a good fit all around, we’ll extend you an offer! If not, we will update you to let you know so you aren’t left hanging.
Not sure if you’d be the right fit? Apply anyway! We’d love to see your application.
✨ Our benefits include…
- Unlimited PTO with a three-week minimum. 🏖
- Fully covered medical, dental, and vision insurance for you, and 50% for your dependents. 🩺
- A One Medical membership. 👩🏽⚕️
- A wellness stipend for therapy of up to $350 per month. 😌
- A gym or fitness stipend of up to $150 per month. 💪
- One-to-one donation matching of up to $1,000 per year. 🥰
- Twelve weeks of paid parental leave after the birth or adoption of a child. 🐣
- Work from home office stipend of $500. 🖥
- For fully remote employees, a stipend of $300 per month is available for a co-working space. 👩🏻💻
- Three offsite retreats per year to get together with coworkers and plan for the quarter ahead. ✈️
- Take a look at our handbook for more information on our benefits! 📘
🦉 What we do
ReadMe helps companies build beautiful, personalized, and interactive developer hubs. We love what we do because it’s so much more than just docs. We’re providing tools for teams to create and manage beautiful documentation with ease. You can read more about what it’s like to work at ReadMe on our careers page, or our Key Values page.