San Francisco, CA /
We’re creating top-notch developer solutions and looking for someone who wants to be the glue between the interface and code. This role is the perfect hybrid for someone who can translate technical, traditionally complex concepts into simple, engaging experiences. If you have a background in front end coding and strong design experience, we’d love to hear from you.
We're a small team of humans (and one owl) working together to do big things, and we’re growing! That’s where you come in. Since we’re a startup, you’ll have the chance to make a huge difference here, and lots of opportunities and flexibility to make outsized improvements to ReadMe beyond your daily responsibilities.
🦉 What we do
ReadMe helps companies build beautiful, personalized, and interactive developer hubs. We love what we do because it’s so much more than just docs. We’re providing tools for teams to create and manage beautiful documentation with ease. Recently, we raised a Series A led by Accel, which we’re pretty excited about!
✅ What you’ll do here
- Help grow a community of humans (and the aforementioned owl) who are passionate about crafting beautiful, accessible developer experiences.
- Embody our value,“Polish the product.” (If you’re curious, you can find the rest of our values on page 7 of our handbook!)
- Play point on UI and design decisions and implementation.
- Own our React component libraries, from our markdown engine to our marketing site.
- Work with customers to understand product pain points.
- Add a bit of whimsy when the mood strikes!
💙 You'll love this job if...
- See code as your canvas.
- Love to get in the weeds with CSS! You should also know how to code in React, but we’re more interested in your ability to make anything you create look polished and beautiful.
- Have thought deeply about developer experience and what makes for great docs.
- Are able to sympathize with our users and help create a product that works well for them.
- Want want to collaborate with designers and engineers to build interfaces that scale across thousands of sites.
🌱 How you'll grow within one month
- Get to know ReadMe! That means our product, how things get done, and your new team.
- Get your local development environment up and running, and use your WFH stipend to make your home workspace more comfortable.
- Jump in on code review, feature mockups, and front end bugs.
3️⃣ Within three months, you'll...
- Help the engineering and product teams evaluate trade-offs and make hard design decisions.
- Help solve tricky stylesheet and user customization issues at scale.
- Collaborate with other designers and programmers on technical tasks.
6️⃣ Within six months, you'll...
- Guide internal initiatives to improve ReadMe’s user experience.
- Take a feature from design to a production-ready React component.
- Talk to customers for user testing and feedback on in-progress designs.
🛣 What's the hiring process like?
- We can’t wait to read your resume and (hopefully personality-filled) cover letter! Let us know what excites you about the intersection of visual design and engineering, and help us get to know you better! If you have a portfolio or visual work samples you'd like to share, we'd love to see them!
- If we think we might be a good fit for you, we’ll set up a phone chat! We’ll tell you more about the role, and get a chance to hear about your experiences.
- Next will be a second phone interview, where we’ll dive a bit more into your background.
- Then we’ll invite you to an "onsite" interview conducted over Zoom! We start with a 30-minute get-to-know-you with the team so you can meet the people you’ll be working with, and then have you talk with people one on one in the afternoon.
- We’ll let you know how things went within a week! If it still seems like a good fit all around, we’ll extend you an offer! If not, we will update you to let you know so you aren’t left hanging.
At ReadMe, we’re committed to cultivating a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome people of all different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Not sure if you’d be the right fit? Apply anyway! We’d love to see your application.
This role will start out remotely due to COVID-19. We want to make sure all our employees feel safe in their work environments! Eventually, this role will be on-site at our San Francisco office. You must be eligible to work in the United States and either be SF-based or willing to move to San Francisco when the office reopens. A relocation package will be provided. We don't work with recruiters.