Software Engineer: Log Infrastructure
San Francisco, CA /
At ReadMe, we believe the API developer experience should be so much more than documentation! As part of this, we built ReadMe API Metrics, a log aggregation product that lets developer platform teams understand who’s using their APIs and where their developers are struggling.
We’re working to make the experience of using ReadMe API Metrics as seamless and easy as possible. As we do this, we need a Log Infrastructure Engineer like you to help improve the performance and capabilities of the platform. At ReadMe, you’d be the first of your kind, so you’ll get to architect the future of API Metrics infrastructure.
We're a small team of humans (and one owl) working together to do big things, and we’re growing! That’s where you come in. Since we’re a startup, you’ll have the opportunity to make a huge difference! You’ll have lots of opportunities and flexibility to make outsized improvements to ReadMe beyond your daily responsibilities.
🦉 What we do
ReadMe helps companies build beautiful, personalized, and interactive developer hubs. We love what we do because it’s so much more than just docs. We’re providing tools for teams to create and manage beautiful documentation with ease. Last year, we raised a Series A led by Accel, which we’re pretty excited about!
✅ What you’ll do here
- Own the architecture of our metrics infrastructure.
- Help grow a community of humans (and the aforementioned one owl) that's passionate about crafting beautiful developer experiences.
- Come up with ideas around what that infrastructure should look like, and communicate them to your coworkers!
- Collaborate with other engineers and people around ReadMe. You’ll be fairly autonomous in this role, but you won’t be on an island! You’ll support and be supported by your coworkers.
💙 You'll love this job if you are...
- Excited about making data pipelines faster.
- Experienced working with large-scale log aggregation technologies. (It would be a bonus if you’ve got experience with Clickhouse, although it’s not necessary!)
- Passionate about making products that people love.
- A programmer with previous professional experience.
- Up to date with the latest web technologies.
- Understanding that roles are flexible; willing to take on new opportunities as ReadMe grows!
🌱 How you'll grow within one month
- Get your local development environment set up and running.
- Become familiar with the ReadMe team and product.
- Become familiar with the current API Metrics infrastructure.
- Be involved in planning meetings for upcoming features.
3️⃣ Within three months, you'll...
- Address API Metrics bugs.
- Begin to form opinions on what ReadMe’s API Metrics infrastructure will look like moving forward.
- Pick up larger tasks with direction and support from other team members.
- Review code written by others with confidence, applying best practices along the way.
- Give demos of built features to other teams in the company.
6️⃣ Within six months, you'll...
- Guide internal initiatives for technical improvements to the Metrics infrastructure codebase.
- Advise other team members on architectural decisions based on your expertise.
- Have created a well-defined idea for what infrastructure will look like moving forward, and begun prototyping and realizing that design!
🛣 What's the hiring process like?
- We can’t wait to read your resume and (hopefully personality-filled) cover letter! Let us know what excites you about API Metrics, and help us get to know you better!
- If we think we might be a good fit for you, we’ll set up a phone chat! We’ll tell you more about the role, and get a chance to hear about your experiences.
- Next will be a second phone interview, where we’ll dive a bit more into your background.
- Then we’ll invite you to an "onsite" interview conducted over Zoom! We start with a 30-minute get-to-know-you with the engineering team so you can meet the people you’ll be working with, and then have you talk with people one on one in the afternoon.
- We’ll let you know how things went within a week! If it still seems like a good fit all around, we’ll extend you an offer! If not, we will update you to let you know so you aren’t left hanging.
At ReadMe, we’re committed to cultivating a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome people of all different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Not sure if you’d be the right fit? Apply anyway! We’d love to see your application.
This role will start out remotely due to COVID-19. We want to make sure all our employees feel safe in their work environments! Eventually, this role will be on-site at our San Francisco office. You must be eligible to work in the United States and either be SF-based or willing to move to San Francisco when the office reopens. A relocation package will be provided. We don't work with recruiters.