Developer Experience Designer
San Francisco, CA /
ReadMe is on the hunt for a Developer Experience Designer! We are a technical product that takes great pride in creating top-notch developer experiences. We’re looking for someone who loves both designing and programming, and is comfortable jumping between the two. If you don’t like being boxed into either front-end engineering or design jobs, this role is the perfect hybrid for you! We are striving to make technical, traditionally complicated concepts simple and fun to use. If you have a strong design background and are comfortable with code, we’d love to hear from you!
🦉 What we do
ReadMe helps companies build beautiful, personalized, and interactive developer hubs. We love what we do because it’s so much more than just docs. We’re providing tools for teams to create and manage beautiful documentation with ease. Last year, we raised a Series A led by Accel, which we’re pretty excited about!
We've written on our blog in the past about how we interview, and feel free to browse our other blog posts as well if it strikes your fancy!
👯♀️ Who we are
We're a small team of humans (and one owl) working together to do big things, and we’re growing! That’s where you come in. Since we’re a startup, you’ll have the opportunity to make a huge difference! You’ll have lots of opportunities and flexibility to make outsized improvements to ReadMe beyond your daily responsibilities.
You’ll be working closely with Tony, our other Product Designer, and Marc, who runs Product!
-Tony grew up in San Francisco’s sunny Excelsior neighborhood and has trouble writing in third person. He used to collect *holographic* MUNI passes, but now just collects plants. Other interests include wearing all black, Marie Kondo-ing, and his dog. 🐶
-Marc grew up in the frozen tundra of northern Minnesota. Immediately after visiting SF he was already won over by warmer winter temperatures. Most of the time he can be found yelling at one of his cats to get out of the way of the TV.
✅ What you'll do here
- Own all of the design elements of ReadMe. Everything from small components, to large features!
- Take new products from conception to pixel-perfect designs.
- Work with customers to understand pain points.
- Write front-end code for our marketing site and product.
- Add a bit of whimsy whenever possible!
💙 You'll love this job if you are...
- Passionate about making complicated things simple.
- Love both programming, designing, and enjoy doing both day-to-day.
- Interested in finding solutions that scale across thousands of sites, each with its own sets of customization.
- Focused on customers, and enjoy working with them to build versatile features.
- Comfortable with technical topics, and enjoy jumping into front-end code.
🌱 How you'll grow within one month
- Become familiar with the product and how we think about design
- Help with current design projects and polishing the product.
- Learn that we really do have an owl drawing for everything.
3️⃣ Within three months, you'll
- Design entire new features! Recently we’ve redesigned our search, released a new free plan, and added a new type of documentation—tutorials!
- Design/implement new pages and updates to our marketing pages.
- Help other teams within ReadMe with design tasks, including content for tweets, formatting of blog posts, and additions to the marketing pages.
- Work with engineering to give feedback on implementation.
6️⃣ Within six months, you'll
- Lead design from concept to execution.
- Implement front-end code for major new features.
- Talk to customers for user testing and feedback on in-progress designs.
- Help guide improvements we can make to the product.
🛣 What's the hiring process like?
- We can’t wait to read your resume and(hopefully personality-filled) cover letter! Let us know what excites you about design, and help us get to know you better!
- If we think we might be a good fit for you, we’ll set up a phone chat! We’ll tell you more about the role, and get a chance to hear about your experiences.
- Next will be a second phone interview, where we’ll dive a bit more into your background.
- Then we’ll invite you to an"onsite" interview conducted over Zoom! We start with a 30-minute get-to-know-you with everyone you'll interview, and then have you talk with people one on one in the afternoon.
- We’ll let you know how things went within a week! If it still seems like a good fit all around, we’ll extend you an offer! If not, we will update you to let you know so you aren’t left hanging.
At ReadMe, we’re committed to cultivating a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome people of all different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Not sure if you’d be the right fit? Apply anyway! We’d love to see your application.
This role will start out remotely due to COVID-19. We want to make sure all our employees feel safe in their work environments! Eventually, this role will be on-site at our San Francisco office. You must be eligible to work in the United States and either be SF-based or willing to move to San Francisco when the office reopens. A relocation package will be provided. We don't work with recruiters.