Head of Engineering
Remote - EMEA /
Technology – Engineering /
Our vision is to become the top of mind standard for managing a small business. We create central access to all essential tools entrepreneurs need to unleash the full potential of their business.
2021 is the most exciting year yet for ready2order! We are stepping into the German market with 10x more potential. At the same time, we are transforming from a point-of-sale app into a business platform that digitalizes the financials of small businesses. As Head of Engineering, you will work directly with the CTO and have overall responsibility for the implementation of software development best practice, strategy and the direct management of Software Developers. As Head of Engineering, you will be leading a department of circa 12 developers made up of 4 cross-functional teams with huge growth baked in for 2021!
Collaboration and communication are crucial while you work with your peers in Product to continually develop the product proposition and what can be achieved with the platform's capability.
Within your 1 week, you’ll
- Complete the ready2order on-boarding Bootcamp and learn about our history, business, and the mission ahead.
- Meet your team for virtual coffee breaks to have a chat and get to know them.
- Complete the product course designed to give you a good understanding of our award-winning software and hardware.
- Meet cross-functional leaders from across the company in virtual chats and get to know them, learn about their priorities and how you’ll work together
Within 1 month, you’ll
- Get up to speed on your new role, team, internal processes, and the company as a whole.
- Learn about the product vision, mission, and market positioning of ready2order.
- Explore the main challenges, priorities, and opportunities facing the company that are relevant to your role.
Within 3 months, you’ll
- Establish yourself in the Product Development leadership team and contribute to decisions affecting successful delivery.
- Architect and support the development of low-latency, high-availability, and performant applications.
- Consult with your technical leads and senior software developers on introducing new ideas and following best practices.
- Have a strong working knowledge of the code and tech stacks.
- Take over direct line management of the software developers team and ensure the team is well run and effective.
- Take ownership of the coding community of practice to ensure standards are established, reviewed and maintained.
Within 6 months, you’ll
- Understand the requirement of our merchants and what technologies we can provide to benefit them.
- Contribute to the conceptualization and redesign of our product into a scalable business platform.
- Be able to recognise and protect against the build-up of technical debt.
- Have overall management of the technical architecture and roadmap and alignment with business strategy.
- Advise on the selection of new technology, frameworks, platforms and tools to support the team and lead on integration.
Within 12 months, you’ll
- Work independently on the above responsibilities with decreased need for guidance
- Contribute to the success of thousands of small business owners by creating products and features that will help them to discover their full potential
Skills and experience to be ready
- 10 years of work experience in software development with over 4 years of managing teams of software engineers.
- Strong understanding of Agile Development Methodologies.
- Strong analytical, verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to self-organise with keen attention to detail.
- Strong people management skills, including the ability to coach and mentor engineers and team leaders of all skill levels.
- Track record of cultural leadership that positively impacts and inspires others.
Nice to have
- Experience working with EPOS, payment or financial services.
- Knowledge of Scaling Agile Product development teams with frameworks like LeSS or SaFe.
- Experience in managing distributed teams.
We want to support you in preparing yourself as best as possible for the hiring process. You can read more about our recruitment process at the bottom of our career page in our Recruiting FAQ’s. If you have any further questions don’t hesitate to reach out to one of our talent partners.