Engineering Manager - Enterprise Engineering Team
At ReadySet, we’re building a distributed SQL cache that precomputes the results of prepared statements (i.e. parameterized SQL queries) and incrementally updates these results over time as the underlying data in your database changes.
ReadySet is wire-compatible with MySQL and Postgres, so it can be integrated with your existing application without code or database changes– ReadySet makes it easy for developers to build performant web, analytical, and internal applications regardless of whether they’re deployed to a single region or around the world.
We’re looking for people who are excited about exploring and productionizing the frontier of distributed systems and DB research to join our international, fully-remote team. You’d be a great fit at ReadySet if you're excited to build data infrastructure that makes modern read-heavy applications faster, simpler, and easier to deploy.
About this role
We’re looking for a seasoned engineering leader who is excited to lead a brilliant and enthusiastic team working on a technically complex product. We are looking for leaders who are excited to build cohesive, diverse teams and feel energized by coaching, mentoring and otherwise growing the careers of your team members. We are looking for people who want to play a role in shaping the engineering culture at ReadySet, including collaborating with the leaders of other teams, promoting continual process improvements for the engineering organization, and growing the team through hiring and onboarding.
In your day-to-day work, you’ll lead a team of 3-6 engineers to iterate on and build production-level code with a growing user base, robust design structure, and rigorous code quality.
You’ll split your time between leading and mentoring the engineering team, helping the team navigate strategic technical discussions, and ensuring product delivery by focusing on project management. You’ll help plan the product roadmap while thinking critically and strategically about ReadySet as a business, scope projects with engineers, track development in order to identify and clearly communicate potential risks, manage project scheduling to ensure timely delivery, and help engineers grow in their careers and capacity.
As a part of our engineering leadership team, you’ll collaborate with other engineering managers to contribute to process improvements, give product and architectural feedback, and work towards making ReadySet more robust and feature-complete.
The Enterprise Engineering team is responsible for building out the platform that customers use to configure and deploy ReadySet into their infrastructure stack. This includes building out the supported deployment models (Kubernetes, CloudFormation, Terraform, etc.), ensuring multi-region support, building installer / orchestrator tools in Rust to facilitate the ease of installation of a deployed ReadySet system, and building out observability integrations, and more.
- Manage a team of 3-6 distributed engineers across US time zones
- Act as both a teacher and a coach for your team. We want this to be a place where engineers can do the best work of their careers.
- Work closely with the engineering leadership team to understand the company priorities, help the team identify and specify projects and milestones, and communicate team progress.
- Collaborate with the other Engineering Managers to iterate and improve upon engineering processes and practices.
- Provide regular feedback to your team and help them identify and work towards their career goals.
- Act as a hiring manager for your team and focus on attracting and onboarding qualified, diverse team members.
- Cultivate excellence within your team; help your team deliver robust, reliable, and scalable code
You may be a good fit if you have...
- 2+ years of management experience
- Previous experience and preference for managing a distributed team of engineers in a remote environment
- A preference for pragmatic, empathetic leadership
- Excellent communication, organization, and problem-solving skills
- The ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, and adapt quickly and efficiently to changing priorities.
- 5+ years experience in a technical role in the DevOps or Ops space. Delivering a cloud-prem product, working with AWS marketplace, are all great to haves.
- Experience with Rust is ideal, or similar languages such as Go or Python.
- Passion for the theory and practice of database query engines, as well as hands-on or academic experience in the domain
- Experience or interest in working in an early-stage startup environment
- A degree in Computer Science or a related field, or similar work experience
Continuous Learning and Growth
Having a product rooted in research out of MIT, a commitment to learning is a requisite trait of every team member. We work on cutting-edge problems in distributed systems and are looking for engineers ready to rise to the challenge as we revolutionize the use of SQL in modern web applications. We want to be a company where all employees are excited to continue learning and growing in their area of expertise, no matter which role or team they are a part of.
Though every team member at ReadySet is individually exceptional, many of the problems we are solving have not been solved before. This means engineering at ReadySet is a team sport. We strive to give every engineer ownership over their work while giving them the resources they need to produce high-quality solutions. We welcome feedback on our own ideas and create timelines with the assumption that part of every day will be spent helping others. We also trust that during disagreements, every teammate will prioritize finding the best possible solution over being right. We encourage collaboration and humility over ego.
Safety to Fail
As a growth stage company tackling huge engineering challenges, sometimes we fail. When this happens, we don’t place blame or keep score and are willing to acknowledge when we could have done better. Most importantly, we are committed to learning and improving as much as possible from every failure so we have a higher chance of succeeding the next time.
Diversity and Inclusion
ReadySet knows that a diverse workforce directly contributes to a higher quality product for our customers. We have put immense effort into fostering an inclusive, diverse work environment from the time of the company’s founding. We expect everyone to bring empathy and respect to all of their interactions with coworkers and customers. Encouraging everyone to bring their unique perspectives to
the table when solving problems helps us build and deliver stronger products.
We have raised over $28m from great VC funds and angels to fuel our growth and help us take our product from an ambitious research prototype to general availability. We offer competitive salary and meaningful early-stage equity in the form of stock options. We also offer unlimited PTO (with minimum vacation recommendations), flexible benefits, a home office stipend, and more.
PTO & Parental Leave
We offer unlimited PTO with minimum vacation recommendations and encourage our team members to take time off whenever they need it. We also offer 90 days of paid parental leave.
Team off-sites & conferences
A few times a year, the whole company meets to facilitate in-person collaboration and team bonding. In addition, we actively encourage participation at conferences and events.
We make time for our remote team to learn together and have fun together even if we are miles away. We have virtual game hours, and an internal tech talk series.