Legal – Intellectual Property /
At ReCor Medical, we are pioneering Ultrasound Renal Denervation (uRDN) therapy to treat hypertension, the leading cardiovascular risk factor in the world. With our Paradise™ uRDN System, we’re on a mission to provide the millions of people who suffer from hypertension with a non-drug and minimally invasive option to lower their blood pressure. Join us on our journey and make a meaningful impact on the lives of people around the globe.
The Director of Intellectual Property will be a key member of Recor’s Intellectual Property Team. The Intellectual Property Department provides centralized legal services and support for Recor Medical and its affiliates and subsidiaries worldwide. This individual will report to Recor Medical’s Head of Intellectual Property with minimal supervision and will be accountable for results impacting both the IP department, and the company as a whole. They will work in close collaboration with colleagues from both Recor’s and OMD’s Intellectual Property departments. They will creatively and effectively apply their broad understanding of international patent prosecution procedures, global patent law, intellectual property due diligence, and IP transactions to build a world-class patent portfolio. They will have a proven track record of quicky coming up to speed with challenging technology to become recognized as a subject matter expert. The Director will work across departments to contribute to the development of Recor’s objectives and priorities in innovation. The main focus of this position will be to assist in building Recor Medical’s patent portfolio by capturing detailed invention disclosures, differentiating prior art, preparing patent applications, and responding to office actions.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Work with the IP, R&D and Clinical Teams to harvest patenting opportunities.
- Prepare and/or review invention disclosures for patentability.
- Prepare and prosecute patent applications, while collaborating with engineers and scientists.
- Actively manage outside counsel on preparation of patents and patent prosecution.
- Assist the Head of IP and the IP Legal Team in preparing for and running Patent Review Committee meetings.
- Conduct patent searching to assist in product development, right to use / freedom to operate (FTO) matters; and identify and evaluate potential infringement concerns.
- Conduct patent landscape searching as requested to assist the IP Legal Team in providing recommendations and guidance to the business.
- Assist with patent-related IP due diligence support, including patent-related IP support to facilitate M&A activities.
- Conduct competitive intelligence, review and analyze competitive watch reports.
- Technical analysis of competitor products for possible patent infringement.
- Support oppositions, post-grant challenges, licensing matters, and disputes.
- 10+ years of experience in drafting, prosecuting and managing patent applications, focused on medical devices, including catheters (preferably, ablation catheters), hardware, software, artificial intelligence, data analytics, and (preferably) ultrasound technology at a top firm and at both a large and small in-house legal department.
- Demonstrated experience in helping to build a patent portfolio.
- Ability to provide critical thinking, creativity, and project management, with attention to detail and demonstrated ability for follow-up.
- Ability to interact effectively with engineers and scientists at a highly proficient technical level, including a knowledge of the terminology and technical landscape, and to translate complicated ideas into strong patent applications.
- Keen attention to detail, and ability to prioritize across multiple projects and meet deadlines, while staying organized.
- Demonstrated ability to influence others and be appropriately assertive to challenge concepts and inspire innovation.
- Self-starter with a strong sense of ownership and accountability, able to work independently and take the initiative to drive projects successfully to completion.
- Outstanding writing skills as demonstrated by original writing samples of patent applications, prosecution submissions, memorandums, and other communications.
- Highest standards of ethics, professional integrity and discretion.
- Bachelor’s degree in physics, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, or related field.
- USPTO Patent Agent or Attorney Registration.
- Writing samples will be requested.
$212,350 - $270,375 a year
(Commensurate with experience, skills, education and training)
COVID-19 vaccination requirements
At ReCor Medical, we care, we collaborate, we challenge, and we create. Pursuant to these core values, we are focused on the health and safety of our employees, as well as the teamwork essential for innovation of our pioneering technology. COVID-19 vaccines will be required for all ReCor US office employees effective June 10, 2021, as well as all new US office employees joining our company. Fully vaccinated persons are those who are >=14 days post-completion of the primary series of an FDA-authorized COVID-19 vaccine.
Equal Employment Opportunity
At ReCor Medical, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.