Denver, CO /
Business Operations – Accounting /
Who We Are
Red Canary was founded to create a world where every organization can make its greatest impact without fear of cyber threats. We’re a cyber security company who protects, supports and empowers organizations to make better security decisions so they can focus on their mission without fear of cyber threats.
The combination of our market-defining technology and expertise prevents breaches every day and sets a new standard for partnership in the industry. We’re united in our commitment to customers and grounded in our values, which earned us a place on the Forbes Best Start-up Employers 2022 list. If our mission resonates with you, let’s talk.
What We Believe In
- Do what’s right for the customer
- Be kind and authentic
- Deliver great quality
- Be relentless
Challenges You Will Solve
As the Controller at Red Canary you will be instrumental in the growth, development and coordination of the accounting department as we best prepare ourselves to raise funds on our own terms. You will be responsible for ensuring GAAP compliance as well as partner with other departments to facilitate process and system improvements leveraging business acumen to do so. You will have the opportunity to use your deep accounting and GAAP knowledge to guide the development of the company, department and team in partnership with the CFO.
What You'll Do
- Manage the accounting department and produce accurate and auditable financial statements. Lead change process improvement initiatives
- Responsible for oversight of monthly accounting entries and other close procedures, including quarterly and annual reviews and adjustments, balance sheet reconciliations, and flux analyses.
- Implement robust financial policies, procedures, and internal controls to public company standards.
- Manage the preparation and filing of State and Local Tax (SALT), income tax returns
- Manage accounting and governance requirements of international expansion.
- Apply technical account expertise and and manage external resources to resolve GAAP and technical accounting issues.
- Oversee revenue accounting and ensure compliance of new revenue streams and contracts with ASC 606.
- Oversee monthly equity accounting
- Ensure timely and accurate monthly financial statement preparation for distribution to Board of Directors, Senior Leadership Team and external investors.
- Lead the preparation of year-end financial statements and footnotes, annual audit, and additional ad-hoc state and federal compliance audits.
- Serve as liaison with various external business professionals including tax professionals, 409A valuation firm, law firms, etc.
- Provide and support analysis on financial results (trends, performance metrics, benchmarks) and work closely with the Finance, Planning and Analysis (FP&A) team for company reporting and analysis requirements, and Annual Operating Planning (AOP).
- Responsible for monthly loan compliance reporting to lenders
- Work closely with operations and engineering to improve manual processes.
- Establish and maintain strong working relationships with management and staff identifying and developing solutions to a full-range of business issues.
- Advise team regarding the handling of non-routine transactions.
- Develop, manage, mentor, and build a high-performing team that works with a collaborative mentality to produce high quality results.
What You'll Bring
- Minimum of 10-15 years of accounting experience and a minimum of 5 years managing people and elements of the accounting function.
- Experience in a mid sized public company of ~ $100M to $250M in revenue.
- BS/BA in Accounting. CPA and deep understanding of GAAP required.
- Familiarity with SOX compliance at a public company
- Experience with SaaS business model a plus
- IPO experience a plus
- Familiarity with Carta (or similar equity management tools a plus)
- Proven track record of leading cross-functional relationships company-wide.
- Strong analytical and technical accounting skills, accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a dynamic and changing environment.
- Strong organizational, written and verbal communication skills required.
- Ability and willingness to meet critical business deadlines.
- Self-starter who enjoys working in a team environment.
- Proficient with software applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) as well as ambition to learn internal systems.
- Tax and Treasury experience a plus
Targeted base salary range: $195,000 - $220,000 + bonus eligibility and equity depending on experience
Why Red Canary?
Red Canary is where people embody our mission to improve security outcomes for all. People work hard to maintain a culture that encourages authenticity in order to do your best work. Our people are driven and committed to finding the best security outcomes, delivering real and actionable answers, and being transparent along the way.
At Red Canary, we offer a very rich benefits program to our full-time team members so they can focus on their families and improving our customers’ security. For a full list of benefits, please review our Benefits Summary:
Individuals seeking employment at Red Canary are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.