Senior Detection Software Engineer
Operations – Detection Enablement /
Who We Are
Red Canary was founded to create a world where every organization can make its greatest impact without fear of cyber attack. Our combination of market-defining technology, processes, and expertise are preventing breaches every day. We are completely changing the way security is delivered and setting the new standard for security. If our mission resonates with you, let’s talk!
What We Believe In
- Do what’s right for the customer
- Be kind and authentic
- Deliver great quality
- Be relentless
Challenges You Will Solve
The Red Canary Senior Detection Software Engineer fuses an increasingly diverse set of telemetry sources. As a Senior Detection Software Engineer, you will validate current and future telemetry sources, ensuring they adhere to Red Canary’s high data quality standards. You fill a critical role in testing and validating the Red Canary Detection Engine can effectively maximize diverse telemetry and detect the threats our customers face.
As a Software Detection Engineer you enhances the ability of Detection Engineering to quickly innovate and deploy new methods of threat detection by working closely with the Threat Research and Threat Intelligence teams to prioritize functional testing of adversary techniques and relevant data sources. Detection Software Engineering ensures Red Canary’s software and human logic is accurate and capable of consistently delivering high quality detections to our customers.
What You'll Do
- Maximize and iteratively improve internal telemetry testing tools as well as Red Canary’s public adversary technique testing frameworks like AtomicTestHarnesses and Atomic Red Team.
- Design and implement new telemetry testing frameworks.
- Work closely with internal and external partners to improve sensor telemetry collection and identify defects before they affect our customers.
- Test the latest sensor telemetry optics from our partner EDR vendors.
- Work with internal teams to improve detection capabilities and the Red Canary Detection Engine.
- Serve as a “data evangelist” and mentor those wanting to learn more about sensor telemetry.
What You'll Bring
- You love software engineering and have a strong desire to write code to automate testing
- Understanding of adversary techniques and detection engineering principles
- Understanding, or a strong desire, to learn software testing and validation techniques.
- Familiarity with operating system internals
- The ability to communicate highly technical concepts in a clear, succinct fashion to non-subject matter experts, both verbally and in writing
- Experience with writing Python, PowerShell, Ruby, and various scripting languages, preferred
- Experience with compiled languages is a plus, but not required, preferred
- Experience with data fusion systems, preferred
- A strong understanding of endpoint telemetry, preferred
- Ability to perform data analysis on diverse datasets, preferred
- Experience automating software deployments, preferred
- Familiarity with using MITRE ATT&CK(R), preferred
Target base salary range: $150,000 - $175,000 depending on experience + bonus eligibility and equity
Why Red Canary?
Red Canary is where people embody our mission to improve security outcomes for all. People work hard to maintain a culture that encourages authenticity in order to do your best work. Our people are driven and committed to finding the best security outcomes, delivering real and actionable answers, and being transparent along the way.
At Red Canary, we offer a very rich benefits program to our full-time team members so they can focus on their families and improving our customers’ security. For a full list of benefits, please review our Benefits Summary:
Individuals seeking employment at Red Canary are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.