Senior Vice President - Accounting & Finance
Santa Rosa, California
Accounting & Finance – Accounting & Finance /
At Redwood Credit Union we are on a journey to re-imagine the way we do business, and we can’t do it without you - our next great hire.
Since 1950, Redwood Credit Union has been helping people reach their financial goals and dreams with a focus on helping others. As a not-for-profit financial institution, our passion is for helping our Members meet their financial needs, whether it’s through better rates, low or no fees, or expanded services.
That people-first approach holds true for our employees, too. Our work environment is built on service and trust. It's all possible with a leadership team committed to hiring talented people and helping them develop their careers.
Redwood Credit Union is offering a rare opportunity and in search for a senior leader for our Accounting & Finance team. In this role you will strategically plan, develop, organize, implement, direct and evaluate Redwood Credit Union’s fiscal position with an emphasis and focus on the financial position as it relates to the strategic objectives and the overall accuracy and integrity of financial reporting. Below is the full range of responsibilities.
• Evaluate and advise senior leadership on the impact of long-range plans for new programs/strategies and regulatory action and their impact.
• Develop policies, procedures, programs, and implement these upon approval.
• Serve on and/or direct a number of committees to ensure effective interface among Accounting and Finance and Senior Leadership, departments and branches to ensure established policies, programs, objectives, and goals are communicated.
• Attend and actively participate in Board of Directors meetings, Senior Leadership Team meetings strategic planning sessions, etc.
• Collaborate with leaders of other departments to prepare for critical business opportunities.
• Represent Redwood Credit Union to outside entities such as examiners, auditors, vendors, and support companies.
• Communicate the Credit Union’s actual performance versus budgets and objectives to Senior Leadership, recommending growth and pricing strategies as well as areas for improvement.
• Direct, develop, coordinate and monitor fiscal decisions and budgetary process.
• Translate RCU’s strategic business plans into accounting strategies and operational plans.
• Participate in the development of the Credit Union's plans and programs as a member of the SLT.
• Develop and implement plans and policies to attain goals and objectives, measures progress, and implements adjustments as appropriate.
• Prepare short and long term goals and objectives for the Accounting and Finance Departments.
• Develop strategies to support growth and earnings objectives.
• Develop and present opportunities to Senior Leadership Team to allow better service to Members.
• Review and identify cost effective and efficient utilization of Redwood Credit Union.
• Ensure RCU accounting practices are current within the industry with an emphasis on efficiency and cost effectiveness.
• Develop and maintain, timely, accurate and efficient reporting mechanisms, including rate/volume analysis, net interest spread analysis, product profitability and departmental accounting.
• Report monthly budget variances and necessary adjustments.
• Ensure conformance with established policies, procedures and State and Federal laws and regulations.
• Delegate, coordinate, and review work to ensure quality of work and efficient operation.
• Establish credibility throughout the organization through effective listening and problem solving.
• Conducts departmental meetings to disseminate pertinent information, and discuss procedures, policies and/or problems to ensure optimum teamwork at all times.
• Coordinate the development and maintenance of written Accounting Department procedures.
• Ensure timely payment of bills and maintaining accurate files.
• Ensure the maintenance, retention, storing and control of all records, receipts and documents relating to the operation of the Credit Union.
• Ensure the accurate preparation and timely submittal of reports to appropriate departments and outside agencies.
• Ensure preparation of RCU financial reports including, but not limited to financial statements, branch accounting, projections, analysis and cost accounting of services.
• Ensure reconciliation of cash, general ledger accounts, overages and shortages and general ledger.
• Coordinates information necessary for Credit Union audits by accountants, supervisory committee, regulator examinations, CUNA Insurance, or any approved agency or firm.
• Reviews, analyzes and implements procedural changes in maintaining accounting and auditing requirements.
• Provide leadership and guidance for direct reports.
• Recruit, select, train, motivate, mentor, evaluate, and develop direct reports.
• Provide exceptional service to all Members and internal clients.
• Direct the recruitment, development, training and performance review of Accounting and Finance employees.
• Establish and maintain sound relationships with financial institutions, including commercial and investment institutions.
• Ensure the accurate execution of financial instrument purchases such as certificates and investment bonds. Provide recommendations for investment portfolio management.
• Ensure the accurate preparation and analyze asset/liability management reports. Provide recommendations to manage interest rate risk.
• Collect and compile data and provide analysis for complex special projects as assigned.
• Performs other related duties as may be required.
• Establish and maintain relationships with key contacts in the community including volunteer centers and non-profit organizations.
• Participate in community events, community volunteer boards & associations.
1 – Controller
1 – Finance Manager
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• In depth knowledge of financial auditing, accounting, finance, and cost accounting related to credit union or financial institutions.
• Thorough knowledge of regulatory requirements for financial institutions, with knowledge of regulatory reporting requirements for credit unions.
• Thorough knowledge of modern management techniques and practices.
• Current knowledge of Federal and State accounting related laws, rules and regulations.
• Current knowledge of national and local economic trends and condition.
• Knowledge of data processing, relating to designing programs and systems to accommodate workflow and reporting.
• Strong negotiation skills.
• Ability to effectively plan, lead, organize, and control to assure successful completion of departmental goals and Credit Union objectives.
• Ability to provide strategic business direction to support business plans and risk management objectives, and all other strategic initiatives.
• Ability to analyze problems and opportunities, identify and evaluate alternatives, and develop sound, effective approaches.
• Ability to travel at least 10% of the time.
Licenses and Certifications
• CPA preferred or Certified Management Accountant (CMA)
A combination of education and experience equivalent to a bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, or a closely related field, with a minimum of fifteen years’ experience in a financial institution, with at least four years of that experience at an executive management level. MBA and CPA preferred.
*CPA preferred or Certified Management Accountant (CMA)
Base starting range: $235,000 to $310,000 annually, commensurate with experience.
Our base salary starting range is based on scope and responsibilities of the position, candidate's work experience, education/training, key skills, and internal peer equity. We offer a competitive total rewards package including a wide range of medical, dental, vision, financial, and other benefits.
Redwood Credit Union offers a robust benefits package to our eligible employees including:
· Competitive medical, dental, and vision insurance, mental health offerings
· Employee performance incentive plan
· Salary Advancement– Merit increase based on performance
· 401(k) program with employer match
· Time Off- Competitive PTO accrual plus 11 paid company holidays and your birthday off!
RCU Discounts and Perks-
- RCU employees are eligible for a .75% discount off RCU standard collateral auto loans
- RCU employees are eligible for a 1% discount on all recreational or boat loan products
- 2% discount off Visas and LOC Loans through RCU
- 0% interest on garment, fitness, or home office equipment loan of up to $500
- 100% financing for employee purchased homes!
Why work for Redwood Credit Union?
· Local financial institution, providing unparalleled service since 1950
· Recognized by Newsweek as one of "America's Best Credit Unions 2024"
· Top 5 Healthiest Credit Union in the USA, rated by Glatt Consulting
· Voted Best Places to Work in the North Bay 18 years in a row
· World-class employee engagement scores
· Rated Superior in Service by more than 90% of Members, surveyed by SF Gate
· Recognized by Forbes as one of “America’s Best Small Employers 2023"
Internal Team Members
If you are a current Team Member, please apply through the internal careers page located in RCUNET.
Service ~ Trust ~ People ~ Cooperation
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer