Toronto, ON /
Engineering – Engineering /
Our mission is to increase the success rate of small businesses. Traditional banking has been a growth limiter rather than a growth enabler for business owners, and we’re changing that. Relay is the all-in-one, collaborative money management platform. We’re building for employer SMBs and their finance function, internal and external, and are focused on delivering a human-centric customer experience. Ultimately, we help SMBs be ‘on the money'.
Relay is entering an exciting new chapter of growth. We’re looking for a Data Engineer to help us scale our Data engine. This is a unique opportunity to be responsible for the evolution of our data stack as the company grows. You'll have a dedicated interest in ensuring our teams have access to the right data at the right time in order for us to make the best decisions for our customers. Please note that we are a hybrid environment and choose to collaborate in the office twice a week.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Own the data stack from a technology perspective and ensure our technology is prepared to handle increased volume
- Develop and ship code to help us wrangle our rich trove of data and make it useful and actionable
- Help us track core KPIs, build dashboards and reports, and ensure our teams have the data they need to function effectively
- Ensure data remains accurate and consistent across multiple data sources and tools in our stack
- Work with stakeholders across the business to ensure data-related technical issues are resolved and support their data requirements
- Keep our customer data safe and secure through security best practices and data obfuscation
Who You Are:
- You have 3+ years of Data Engineering experience and have a demonstrated history of owning or making significant contributions to the evolution of data technologies
- You have experience with data modeling tools like DBT and familiarity with data warehousing concepts
- You get excited working with databases like Redshift, Snowflake, and/or Postgres
- You love working with data visualization tools like Looker, Metabase, Periscope, and/or Mode
- You know how to set up data pipelines to connect external data sources
- You have strong analytical and quantitative skills and know how to use data to back up assumptions and make recommendations that drive decision making
- You have the ability to execute independently with the input of cross-functional stakeholders
- You can rise to a challenge and handle change and uncertainty at times - we are a startup after all!
- You're a team player - our team is small and mighty, and we collaborate constantly - we want someone who is always willing to pitch in and isn’t afraid to ask for help
- You have an understanding of applied statistics, are able to create quantitative models, and can clearly communicate findings to a technical and non-technical audience
- You have domain knowledge of Banking or SaaS analytics and are familiar with concepts like LTV, churn, retention, etc.
- You’ve joined a company at its early stages and have seen it through scale
- You have experience in data science, machine learning, or advanced analytics, with knowledge of statistical methods and machine learning algorithms. While your primary focus will be on data engineering tasks, your interest, and skills in data science will be valued, and there will be opportunities for you to grow in this area over time.
Research shows that women-identifying and other marginalized individuals tend to only apply when they meet 100% of the qualifications. If you don't have all the listed qualifications, we encourage you to apply anyway, and together we'll figure out if this is the best role for you!
Our Commitment To You:
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity: every team member gets a piece of the pie.
- Comprehensive health benefits: we offer full health benefits + an HSA/WSA starting from day 1 so you get the coverage you need.
- 3 weeks vacation + end-of-year holiday shutdown: we take time off to reset and recharge so we come back better for our customers.
- Hybrid work environment: we love collaborating and connecting in office two times a week and offer catered lunches and a snack/beverage program for the days we’re in office. Don’t forget to bring in your fury friends!
- Personal and professional growth: support from leaders who care about your growth and success through regular feedback and coaching. Our goal is to make Relay a step-change career opportunity.
- Top-tier equipment: we’re a Mac environment and we’ll make sure you have everything you need to produce your best work.
- Team-first culture: we’re passionate about working collaboratively, bonding through team events, and most importantly having fun.
What’s Important to Us:
At Relay, we believe that diversity is key to building high-performing teams, and creating an inclusive work environment is our priority. We are an equal-opportunity employer and we welcome people of diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
We will work with applicants to provide accommodations at any stage of the hiring process. If you require accommodations during the interview process, please email your People Team contact, and we will work with you to meet your needs.