Customer Experience Specialist, Phone Support
Toronto, ON /
Customer Support – Customer Support /
Our mission is to increase the success rate of small businesses. Traditional banking has been a growth limiter rather than a growth enabler for business owners, and we’re changing that. Relay is the all-in-one, collaborative money management platform. We’re building for employer SMBs and their finance function, internal and external, and are focused on delivering a human-centric customer experience. Ultimately, we help SMBs be ‘on the money'.
Relay is entering an exciting new chapter of growth. We’re looking for more Customer Experience Specialists to help us scale our Customer Support engine. This is a unique opportunity to support our growing customer base and become a product knowledge expert in all things Relay and fin-tech.
Joining Relay, means an opportunity to make a huge impact building solutions with the potential to reach 29 million small businesses across North America. If you thrive on growth and solving real customer problems, we want to hear from you! Please note that we are a hybrid environment and choose to collaborate in the office twice a week.
While working hours for this role are 9 AM -5:30 PM EST Monday to Friday, we are looking for people who have flexibility and are open to working weekend shifts in the future.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Engage and support customers primarily via phone (Zendesk Talk) in an empathetic, professional, and proactive manner. You'll be trained on different support channels, but the phone will be the main means of communication
- Prioritize the customer experience by taking opportunities to build meaningful connections with customers that go beyond small talk (show interest in the customer and their business)
- Investigate and problem-solve together with team members from Engineering, Sales, Product, and beyond to troubleshoot customer issues and get results in a timely manner
- Own and improve our public support knowledge base by creating and updating articles that equip our customers with actionable steps for their inquiries
- Track data and learnings from customer interactions that deliver meaningful insights for product and process improvement
- Collaborate closely with Operations, Marketing, Product, and Engineering on customer pilots, new feature launches, and more!
Who You Are:
- You have 1+ years of experience working in customer support, success, or a customer-facing role
- You are excited about building a customer-facing career with the desire to grow and develop both personally and professionally
- You are a clear, concise, and personable communicator both verbally and written
- You have a team-first mentality and take opportunities to share learnings and learn from your fellow team members
- You have deep empathy for customers and balance being resourceful and direct with customers
- You enjoy chatting with customers on the phone and getting to the root of their problems to provide excellent customer service
- You have fine-tuned prioritization skills to maximize your impact
- You have the ability to rise to a challenge; you can handle change, conflict management, and uncertainty, at times
- You are naturally curious, you love to understand the “why” behind a problem or question, and aren’t afraid to dig deep into problem-solving
- You are proactive, and you find opportunities to fill gaps and make redundant or outdated tasks into more efficient processes
- You have experience working with customer support tools or ticketing systems (Zendesk or similar)
- You have prior tech start-up experience or a fast-moving environment
- You have worked in a high-volume phone call environment
Our Commitment To You:
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity: every team member gets a piece of the pie.
- Comprehensive health benefits: we offer full health benefits + an HSA/WSA starting from day 1 so you get the coverage you need.
- 3 weeks vacation + end-of-year holiday shutdown: we take time off to reset and recharge so we come back better for our customers.
- In-person training at our Toronto HQ: the first 6 weeks of your time at Relay will be spent in our Toronto office for training purposes, followed by a hybrid model of Tues/Thurs in office
- Hybrid work environment: we love collaborating and connecting in office two times a week and offer catered lunches and a snack/beverage program for the days we’re in office. Don’t forget to bring in your furry friends! For the days we spend at home, you will need a dedicated and private room to conduct phone calls confidentially.
- Personal and professional growth: support from leaders who care about your growth and success through regular feedback and coaching. Our goal is to make Relay a step-change career opportunity.
- Top-tier equipment: we’re a Mac environment and we’ll make sure you have everything you need to produce your best work.
- Team-first culture: we’re passionate about working collaboratively, bonding through team events, and most importantly having fun.
The Interview Process:
- Stage 1: A 30-minute Google Meets video call with a member of the People team
- Stage 2: A writing sample about customer experience
- Stage 3: A 45-minute Google Meets video call with two members of the Customer Experience team
- Stage 4: A 30-minute Google Meets video call with the CEO of Relay
Research shows that women-identifying and other marginalized individuals tend to only apply when they meet 100% of the qualifications; if you don't have all the listed qualifications, we encourage you to apply anyway!
What’s Important to Us:
At Relay, we believe that diversity is key to building high-performing teams, and creating an inclusive work environment is our priority. We are an equal-opportunity employer and we welcome people of diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
We will work with applicants to provide accommodations at any stage of the hiring process. If you require accommodations during the interview process, please email your People Team contact, and we will work with you to meet your needs.