Remote Piloting UX Engineer
Mountain View, CA
We're building safety-enhancing technology for aviation that will save lives. Automated aviation systems will enable a future where air transportation is safer, more convenient and fundamentally transformative to the way goods — and eventually people — move around the planet. We are a team of mission-driven engineers with experience across aerospace, robotics and self-driving cars working to make this future a reality.
As a Remote Piloting UX Engineer at Reliable Robotics you will help to define how people will operate and supervise automated aircraft in the National Airspace System. You will drive solutions in a wide range of interdisciplinary human integration challenges associated with the development, simulation, testing, certification and operation of automated aircraft systems.
We’re looking for someone who is comfortable wearing many hats, has a breadth of knowledge and experience, and can contribute materially to the diverse set of problems we face.
In your role as a Flight Operations Software Engineer, you will design flight-worthy and certifiable user interface concepts for both on-aircraft and remote pilots. You will produce flowcharts, storyboards, wireframes, comprehensive layouts, prototypes, and other design artifacts. You will build and maintain the tools used to support research and flight test operations. You will conduct design reviews and communicate functionality to other engineers and pilots. You will directly participate in flight test operations to attain a deep understanding of the challenges and opportunities for improvement. Above all you will leverage your combined operational and engineering expertise to develop and refine the concept of operations.
Basic Success Criteria
- Bachelor’s degree or greater in an engineering or science discipline
- Flight experience or in-depth understanding of operations in the National Airspace System.
- Professional or academic experience in developing user-facing software
- You might not have all of these skills and experience, but that’s ok! There are many areas in which you may align with this position and still be qualified
- Commercial pilot license with instrument rating
- Graduate of an SETP recognized test pilot school
- Experience working with large remotely operated systems (UAVs, spacecraft, etc)
- Experience with safety-critical software engineering processes & teams
- Significant previous experience working with FAA or similar government body
- Knowledge of basic systems engineering practices
- Experience with wireframing tools such as Sketch, Figma, or Adobe XD
- Familiarity with user experience design and usability analysis
- Exceptional portfolio with strong visual design
- Demonstrated ability to work in a self-directed manner in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Must be willing to travel up to 20% of the time.
The estimated salary range for this position is $136,000 to $184,000/annual salary + cash and stock option awards + benefits. At Reliable Robotics, we strive to provide competitive and rewarding compensation based on experience and expertise, as well as market conditions, location, and pay equity.
In addition to base compensation, Reliable Robotics offers stock options, employee medical, 401k contribution, great co-workers and a casual work environment.
Reliable Robotics does not presently sponsor candidates for employment visas. In order to comply with export control regulations applicable to our technology and products, all candidates for this position must reside in the United States and be “U.S. persons” for purposes of the Export Administration Regulations (i.e., a U.S. citizen, a lawful permanent resident, or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as refugees or granted asylum in the U.S.) or otherwise eligible to access our technologies without an export license.
At Reliable Robotics, our goal is to be a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, creed, ancestry, sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability or medical conditions, national origin, military or veteran status, genetic information, marital status, or any other basis covered by applicable law. All employment and promotion is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
If you require reasonable accommodation in completing an application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org