Systems Safety Engineer
Mountain View, CA or Remote
Systems Engineering /
Full Time /
We're building safety-enhancing technology for aviation that will save lives. Automated aviation systems will enable a future where air transportation is safer, more convenient and fundamentally transformative to the way goods — and eventually people — move around the planet. We are a team of mission-driven engineers with experience across aerospace, robotics and self-driving cars working to make this future a reality.
As a Systems Safety Engineer at Reliable Robotics, you will be a part of the Systems & Safety team and will report to the Systems & Safety Manager. The Systems & Safety Team is responsible for architecting systems which support novel safety-critical functions, establishing development methodologies for new technologies, and comply with the federal regulations.
As part of an experienced multi-disciplinary team, you will contribute to expanding the aircraft's operational and functional capabilities. Your professional experience in aircraft and system safety will further strengthen the team's ability to meet rigorous expectations of stakeholders and certification authorities. You will collaborate with members from other groups within Reliable Robotics to ensure the safety of new and novel systems necessary for unmanned aircraft operations.
In your role as a Systems Safety Engineer you will contribute to the development and architectural design supporting the delivery of prototypes and certifiable safety-critical flight systems in a dynamic start-up work environment.
Your responsibilities include:
- Apply systems safety methodologies as defined by industry standards
- Develop new processes / methodologies used to certify autonomous / remote operations
- Perform safety activities in coordination with design, development and verification of aviation systems including: Generate safety artifacts such as FHAs & Safety Assessments for aircraft, systems and equipment. Generate reliability or testability assessments to support safety activities. Validate safety requirements in collaboration with systems teams. Ensure consistency between the safety activities and development activities.
- Support flight operations with safety of flight assessments for experimental operations
You’ll also have the opportunity to interact with other domains within Reliable Robotics and become involved in a broad task spectrum not limited to typical system safety engineering activities.
Basic Success Criteria
- Bachelor’s Degree of Science or Engineering in Mechanical, Electrical, Aerospace, or related discipline
- Broad experience from many years of safety engineering on various systems, including complex safety-critical aerospace systems or equivalent technology
- Demonstrated self starter with the ability to solve problems from first principles
- Ability to work well independently and cross-functionally across multiple organizations
- Advanced Degree of Science or Engineering in Mechanical, Electrical, Aerospace, or related discipline
- Creative problem solver that can bring multiple disciplines together with the ability to assess risk and make design and development decisions without all available data
- Experience certifying flight critical systems, hardware, and software via ARP4754A, ARP4761
- Demonstrated ability ability to obtain regulatory acceptance of safety documents
This role is critical to us at Reliable Robotics, because it works to channel the ingenuity of the development engineers, hardware and software, towards a successful, concise and conclusive, certification package for an aircraft that flies itself.
This role can be remote, or located at our facility in Mountain View, California. Must be willing to travel up to 10% of the time.
The estimated salary range for this position is $137,500 to $214,500/annual salary + cash and stock option awards + benefits. At Reliable Robotics, we strive to provide competitive and rewarding compensation based on experience and expertise, as well as market conditions, location, and pay equity.
In addition to base compensation, Reliable Robotics offers stock options, employee medical, 401k contribution, great co-workers and a casual work environment.
This position requires access to information that is subject to U.S. export controls. An offer of employment will be contingent upon the applicant’s capacity to perform in compliance with U.S. export control laws.
All applicants are asked to provide documentation that legally establishes status as a U.S. person or non-U.S. person (and nationalities in the case of a non-U.S. person). Where the applicant is not a U.S. person, meaning not a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful permanent resident, (iii) refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or not otherwise permitted to access the export-controlled technology without U.S. government authorization, the Company reserves the right not to apply for an export license for such applicants whose access to export-controlled technology or software source code requires authorization and may decline to proceed with the application process and any offer of employment on that basis.
At Reliable Robotics, our goal is to be a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, creed, ancestry, sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability or medical conditions, national origin, military or veteran status, genetic information, marital status, or any other basis covered by applicable law. All employment and promotion is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
If you require reasonable accommodation in completing an application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to email@example.com