Espoo, Southern Finland, Finland /
Narrative – Writing /
Remedy Entertainment, the creator of Control®, Quantum Break®, Max Payne®, Alan Wake® and Death Rally®, and one of the leading independent game studios in the world, is now looking for a Lead Writer for a key role working on the Control franchise.
As a Lead Writer, you will be a part of our Narrative Team and create our new games with us: brainstorm story scenarios, create dialogue, characters, transmedia products, marketing materials, the works.
As part of our larger development team, you will work closely with other departments to implement and iterate the material you have created. We take our storytelling and characters seriously and want to push the boundaries of what interactive stories in games can do.
Our writing team is small, tightly knit, and appreciative of creative input. We are looking for somebody to actively contribute and innovate, not just write things to spec. We enthusiastically welcome diverse viewpoints and backgrounds. Join us working on the future of Control franchise!
- Under the direction of the project’s Game Director, drive the development of the game’s story, structure, characters, tone, pacing, and world-building
- Collaborate with the Narrative Lead and other Project Leads in ensuring key plot and narrative beats are executed properly within the game with a balanced cohesion of story and gameplay
- Lead, manage, and mentor other Writers on the project
- Write and edit compelling dialogue for characters, missions, and cinematics within a properly structured screenplay
- Write and edit additional/optional narrative content as needed to support the game’s story
- Write and edit in-game text (menus, level descriptions, tutorials etc.) as required by the project
- Create and maintain story and narrative documentation as needed to communicate the game’s story both internally and externally
- Work with the project’s Narrative Lead and Production Team in the planning, scoping, and scheduling of writing tasks and deliverables
- Be a reliable and proactive source of information, facilitating efficient and clear communication with other departments
- Support the narrative needs of the project and game team as required
Skills and experience needed to succeed in this role
- Demonstrable previous experience as a Lead Writer, or other significant contribution as a Writer to shipped AAA 1st/3rd person multi-platform games
- Experience leading a team of writers throughout a project’s lifecycle
- Excellent writer with an ear for characterization and dialogue
- Fluent (written and verbal) English
- Understanding of narrative, game design and visual/cinematic storytelling techniques
- Flexible and adaptable to changing circumstances and production realities; able to give and take constructive feedback
- Self-motivated and proactive, with a dedication to improving your craft and making the best games possible
- Dedicated to contributing towards a friendly and collaborative team environment
Ideal candidate would also have
- Experience working with actors and directors
- Experience working in established franchises with existing lore and world-building
- Experience working with and managing external writers
- A portfolio of relevant writing samples
What is in it for you?
- Above all, you get to work on awesome, unique video games that the global audience is interested in at a studio where your input is valued. We try our hardest to keep our team sizes and the work load sensible, so your contributions feel valuable
- This position is based in Helsinki metropolitan area in Finland, where the quality of life is exceptional and cost of living is affordable. If you're not already in Finland, our relocation service is there every step of the way to take care of you. You can concentrate on work, while we’ll take care of everything else
- You will be offered competitive compensation with a bonus system
- We work hard, but at Remedy we believe in a great work life balance. Happy people work better. In Finland you get up to 5 weeks of paid vacation every year. This is on top of public holidays and other special occasions
To apply, please fill in the application form with your CV and other information relevant to the position. Please include 2-3 short writing samples with your application.
The position will be filled as soon as a suitable applicant is found.