Senior Gameplay Designer (Combat)
Espoo, Southern Finland, Finland /
Design – Gameplay Design /
Remedy Entertainment, the creator of Control®, Quantum Break®, Max Payne®, Alan Wake® and Death Rally®, and one of the leading independent game studios in the world, is now looking for a Senior Gameplay Designer (Combat) for a key role working on Remedy’s projects.
If you like the idea of working on a AAA title, taking ownership of complex combat systems, driving them through concept to final implementation in production levels and being responsible for their final quality in the hands of our passionate players, then this job is for you!
- Under direction from the Lead Gameplay Designer and Game Director; design, prototype and script the game’s combat systems (melee and ranged combat, player abilities, 3Cs etc.) and mechanics using our proprietary Northlight game engine
- Take responsibility for the game’s combat systems, driving them from conception through to full implementation and polish
- Alongside NPC designers, create compelling combat gameplay loops that adhere to the game’s creative direction.
- Work with gameplay programmers to develop architecture and systems that allow for the flexible creation of game features using Lua
- Assist Mission Designers in designing encounters and set pieces using the game’s combat systems
- Work with other content disciplines to ensure your features have the various feedback systems required to make in-game cause and effect clear to players
- Create both high level feature overviews and technical specifications in order to communicate your ideas with other teams
- Watch and review UR test results in order to improve the game’s combat experience
- Plan your work to ensure your features are delivered on time and to an exceptional quality
- Mentor and review the work of more junior members of the team
Requirements and qualifications
- Demonstrable previous work as a Senior Combat Designer for 1st person/3rd person games.
- Experience taking at least one (preferably multiple) core features from concept to release
- Knowledge and experience working with next-generation 3D level editors (CryEngine, Unreal etc. or internally developed editors)
- Experience with creating ranged and melee-based combat systems
- Knowledge and experience working with scripting languages (Lua, C# etc.) to script prototype game features and level flow / logic
- Ability to take criticism from leads, publishers and other team members and channel it into improving the product
- Self-motivated and proactive with a dedication to improving your craft and making the best games possible
- Dedicated to contributing towards a friendly team environment
- An amazing ability to communicate both verbally and in written form (in English)
The ideal candidate would also have
- Passion for creating compelling narrative experiences
- Prototyping experience (e.g. Unreal/Unity)
- Computer science background
- An avid player of games, both multiplayer and single player
What’s in it for you?
- Yes, you get to move to Finland where the quality of life is exceptional and cost of living is affordable
- Moving to a new country can be intimidating, but our relocation service is there every step of the way to take care of you. You can concentrate on work, while we’ll take care of everything else
- You will be offered competitive compensation with a bonus system
- We work hard, but at Remedy we believe in a great work life balance. Happy people work better. In Finland you get up to 5 weeks of paid vacation every year. This is on top of public holidays and other special occasions
- Above all, you get to work on awesome, unique video games that the global audience is interested in at a studio where your input is valued. We try our hardest to keep our team sizes and the work load sensible, so your contributions feel valuable
To apply, please fill in the application form with your CV and other information relevant to the position.