(Senior) AI Designer
Espoo, Southern Finland, Finland /
Design – Gameplay Design /
Remedy Entertainment, the creator of Control®, Quantum Break®, Max Payne®, Alan Wake® and Death Rally®, and one of the leading independent game studios in the world, is looking for a talented AI Designer for a key role working on the Control franchise.
Would you like to be the feature owner for AI – combat and non-combat NPCs in the game – and contribute significantly to the second-to-second and hour-to-hour game loop?
In this role, you will work with some of the best AI tools in the industry, having a lot of autonomy and creative control over every aspect of the game’s NPCs. At the same time, you will have the support of a solid and experienced team.
What you get to do:
- You’ll get to design and prototype AI features with the support and direction of the Lead Gameplay Designer and the Game Director.
- You will be pitching new enemy archetypes and boss fights that fit the vision, gameplay and creative pillars of the game. You will write creative and technical design specs, and prototype enemy behaviors and abilities.
- During the production stage you will be creating and maintaining behavior trees, finite state machines, environment queries and Lua scripts from early prototypes all the way through final implementation and polish.
- You will work closely with programmers, character and VFX artists, animators and audio designers to bring the vision to final quality, evangelizing AI features to level designers and environment artists.
What you bring to the role:
- You have a good understanding of rational game design principles and the role of AI in gameplay loops.
- You can drive core game features from concept to release, you are experienced with AI systems and have shipped one or more titles in a similar role.
- Your technical capabilities allow you to understand complex concepts and create first-pass technical implementations of features yourself.
- You can give and take constructive feedback while interacting with leads, publishers and other team members, using it to improve the product.
What is in it for you?
At Remedy you get to work on awesome, memorable game experiences for our players, in a studio where your input is valued and your creative freedom is encouraged.
We work in an environment that values both individual and team-work, ensuring that everyone’s voice is heard & workload stays sensible. We believe in and support work-life balance. Happy people work better!
We offer an extensive set of employee benefits and an annual bonus system as well as opportunities for you to develop your skills further. On top of this, in Finland and Sweden you get up to 5 weeks of paid vacation, in addition to public holidays and other special occasions.
Our studio is based in Helsinki metropolitan area in Finland, a safe country, with exceptional quality of life, free education and pristine nature at your doorstep. If you're not already in Finland, our relocation service is there every step of the way to take care of you. You can concentrate on work, while we’ll take care of everything else!
To apply, please fill in the application form with your CV (English), work references/portfolio and other information relevant to the position. This position will be filled as soon as suitable applicants are found.