Gameplay Designer (Narrative Systems)
Espoo, Southern Finland, Finland /
Design – Gameplay Design /
Remedy Entertainment, the creator of Control®, Quantum Break®, Max Payne®, Alan Wake® and Death Rally®, and one of the leading independent game studios in the world, is now looking for a Gameplay Designer (Narrative Systems) for a key role working on Remedy’s projects.
If you like the idea of working on a AAA title, taking ownership of key narrative gameplay features, driving them through concept to final implementation in production levels and being responsible for their final quality in the hands of our passionate players, then this job is for you!
- Under the direction of the Narrative Lead and Lead Gameplay Designer; design, prototype and script narrative gameplay systems and content using our proprietary Northlight game engine
- Take responsibility for key narrative gameplay features (conversation system, mission log, AI dialogue, etc.), driving them from conception through to full implementation and polish
- Act as a champion of narrative through gameplay, story, and thematic coherence across the development team
- Collaborate with the narrative team in developing the game’s story structure, characters, tone, pacing and world-building with attention to translating it into compelling missions and gameplay systems
- Work with gameplay and tools programmers to develop architecture and systems that allow for the flexible creation of narrative features
- Work with Mission Designers and other disciplines to implement, support and maintain all narrative content in the game (dialogue, optional content, menu strings, objectives etc.)
Requirements and qualifications
- Demonstrable previous work as a Narrative Designer or Gameplay Designer with a focus on narrative systems
- Passion for creating compelling narrative experiences
- Experience taking at least one (preferably multiple) core features from concept to release
- Knowledge and experience working with scripting languages (Lua, C# etc.) to script prototype game features and level flow / logic
- Experience working within 3D level editors (Unreal, Unity, CryEngine etc. or proprietary editors)
- Understanding of narrative, game design and visual/cinematic storytelling techniques.
- Ability to take criticism from leads, publishers and other team members and channel it into improving the product
- Self-motivated and proactive, with a dedication to improving your craft and making the best games possible
- Dedicated to contributing towards a friendly and collaborative team environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (in English)
The ideal candidate will also have
- Technical background (programming or otherwise)
- A passion for games, both multiplayer and single player
What’s in it for you?
- Yes, you get to move to Finland where the quality of life is exceptional and cost of living is affordable
- Moving to a new country can be intimidating, but our relocation service is there every step of the way to take care of you. You can concentrate on work, while we’ll take care of everything else
- You will be offered competitive compensation with a bonus system
- We work hard, but at Remedy we believe in a great work life balance. Happy people work better. In Finland you get up to 5 weeks of paid vacation every year. This is on top of public holidays and other special occasions
- Above all, you get to work on awesome, unique video games that the global audience is interested in at a studio where your input is valued. We try our hardest to keep our team sizes and the work load sensible, so your contributions feel valuable
To apply, please fill in the application form with your CV and other information relevant to the position.