Remora is hiring a Commercial Counsel who, as Remora’s second legal hire, will help draft and negotiate contracts of all kinds as well as support all functions with legal review and advice. The Commercial Counsel will assess contracts for legal, compliance, and business risks while applying commercial legal principles and practical business sense, all while helping to tackle the defining challenge of our time.
We’re a 50-person climate tech startup based in Detroit, MI. We build a device that captures a semi-truck’s carbon emissions directly from the tailpipe. We sell the CO2 to end-users, and split that revenue with our customers, so our device pays for itself in just a couple years.
We’re piloting our technology with some of the largest companies in the world, including three of the Fortune 10, and we’ve raised multiple rounds of funding from leading investors like Lowercarbon Capital, Union Square Ventures, and First Round Capital.
- Structure, draft, negotiate, and review a broad range of commercial agreements, including complex and novel agreements (hardware sales and services, CO2 sales, carbon credit sales, partnerships, manufacturing, IP development, consulting) to ensure compliance with Remora’s requirements and preferences, and identify and coordinate review by internal departments on relevant provisions
- Provide pragmatic, business-minded guidance on contract related issues. We’re not looking for academic analysis.
- Collaborate with and provide strategic and legal advice to various cross-functional teams, including sales, product, customers ops, and more
- Improve internal processes and increase the efficiency and scalability of the legal team
- Develop, implement, and continuously improve Remora’s contracts, templates, and other agreements to ensure maximum protection while balancing business needs
- Develop a broad understanding of key areas of law that affect Remora’s business, such as corporate, intellectual property, regulatory and more
- Work with vendors to oversee the maintenance of the corporate records and good standing requirements
- Interface with document management to assure retention of complete records of each transaction and help maintain contract and document management across all areas within Remora
- JD degree with good standing membership in at least one U.S. state bar
- 4+ years of transactional experience with midsize hardware companies or startups in a role that requires direct interaction with customers, suppliers, and internal teammates
- Strong familiarity with common issues that arise in commercial negotiations, including IP, indemnification, and other issues commonly negotiated with large customer companies
- Excellent judgment that balances business-goals with riskInitiative to work through multiple solutions to issues and proactively drive projects forward
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to distill complex legal issues into an understandable narrative for diverse audiences
- Impeccable attention to detail and organization
- Willingness to learn and handle new areas of responsibility
- Proficiency editing and managing contracts using both Microsoft Office and GSuite, and ideally, other applications relevant to legal operations and contract management
Here’s what we value:
- You want to join a fast-paced, fast-growing startup.
- You care deeply about reducing carbon emissions and building power for the historically excluded communities that those emissions will most affect.
- You’re committed to practicing anti-racism and anti-sexism.
- You fully own projects, and you identify and solve problems through completion.
- You adapt to change and appreciate failures as learning opportunities, constructively sharing them with your teammates.
- You improve your teammates’ performance through collaboration. You consistently pursue personal and professional growth for yourself and your teammates.
- You voice respectful disagreement and provide high-quality constructive feedback. You’re an effective and active listener and a clear and concise communicator.
- You voice respectful disagreement and provide high-quality constructive feedback. You’re an effective and active listener, and a clear and concise communicator.
- Location: Remote (US and Canada within Pacific Time, Mountain Time, Central Time, or Eastern Time)
- Start date: Flexible
- COVID-19: Remora requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Applicants are required to submit proof of vaccination prior to beginning employment. Appropriate COVID-19 safety precautions are implemented in the workplace.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary: $112,000 USD if based in Detroit and adjusted for geography
- Equity: 0.03%
- Healthcare (Aetna)
- Retirement (401k)
- Student loan assistance
- Four weeks of paid time off
- Dependent care assistance (childcare or eldercare)
- Parental leave
- Unlimited sick and compassionate leave
- Employee development and coaching
Climate change disproportionately impacts communities of color, so we’re looking for candidates deeply committed to reducing emissions and to racial justice. People who identify as Black, Indigenous, person of color, female, non-binary, trans, gender non-conforming, or any other identity underrepresented in startups are especially encouraged to apply.
Research shows that women and people of color are less likely to think they are qualified for a position after reading a list of requirements like the one above. If you are worried that you are not qualified, please apply anyway! We’re most excited to work with people who learn quickly and want to tackle the climate crisis.