San Francisco, CA
Product – Engineering
When deploying applications in production, developers are forced to pick between two extremes: expensive yet simplistic platforms like Heroku, or complicated, do-it-all-yourself services like AWS. By contrast, Render makes it easy to get up and running quickly but also allows applications to scale and increase in complexity over time, preventing a transition to DIY infrastructure.
Our goal is to completely free up developers and teams from managing infrastructure. This will ultimately improve all software and enable entirely new kinds of applications.
We're building products that abstract over complexity and minimize cognitive overhead for our users. This requires careful thought, high creativity and a deep understanding of application requirements in production. Our stack is React, GraphQL, Go, Kubernetes and PostgreSQL, but we don't require prior experience with any of them. We're looking for people with high integrity, low ego, and an insatiable drive to learn.
We serve well over 10 million requests every day and have thousands of users who love the product. The company is well funded and backed by the same venture funds behind Airbnb, Snap, and Stripe, and the former CTOs of VMware and Dropbox.
As a full-stack engineer at Render, you will take complete, end-to-end ownership of projects across the entire stack. You should already have experience building products across the stack and have a keen understanding of web frameworks, APIs, databases and multiple backend languages.
Engineering at Render
We're a small team of full-stack engineers. We have complete, end-to-end ownership for every project we take on and expect the same from you. We review all major code changes through pull requests and are always pushing ourselves to do better. We iterate quickly and deploy to production several times a day.
The biggest issues with platforms like Heroku are lack of flexibility, and cost. We are solving the cost problem by using containers and Kubernetes and intelligently scaling compute resources up and down. This will continue to be a major area of engineering investment for us going forward.
We solve lack of flexibility by using Kubernetes under the hood and abstracting all the associated complexity so our users get all the benefits (load balancing, service discovery, autoscaling, health checks, self-healing) without needing to manage Kubernetes or build everything on AWS.
The challenge is in building the right user-facing abstractions that make simple application deployments effortless and complex application deployments possible. User experience is our primary focus and drives everything we do.
Why join us
- We're solving a problem faced by every developer and development team. It's a massive and rapidly growing market (AWS is privately valued at over $200B, and there are over 20 million professional developers globally).
- We serve over 10 million requests daily, our users love us, and our revenue is growing quickly.
- Our stock grants are 99th percentile of the market: Render's first 10 hires will own over 10% of the company.
- Everyone wants to move their infrastructure to Kubernetes, but it's too complex for the average development team. Render makes it possible to get the power of Kubernetes without any of its complexity.
- The former CTOs of VMware and Dropbox are two of our biggest investors and cheerleaders.
- The company is led by Anurag Goel, who was employee #8 and Head of Risk at Stripe. He helped Stripe scale from 10 to over 400 people and is applying many of the same principles that helped Stripe succeed to Render.
Projects you might work on
- You will create open source projects and documentation in multiple languages and frameworks to demo Render's features.
- We run our Kubernetes clusters on Google Cloud Platform. You will enable Render's Kubernetes clusters to run on multiple clouds and eventually in our own data-centers. You will also allow our users to connect Render resources with their private networks in AWS/GCP.
- You will create an effortless serverless abstraction on Render and enable per-request billing for containerized resources.
- You will build a managed MySQL product for Render users.
- You will use machine learning to optimize container scheduling and save resources while keeping user workloads responsive.
- Render works great with GitHub and GitLab repos. You will add Bitbucket integration.
- You will build the ability to create and manage User Orgs on Render.
Some of the benefits we offer:
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision coverage with PPO plans and 100% of your premiums paid by Render.
- 99th percentile stock grants and a comfortable San Francisco salary.
- Four weeks paid vacation, and vacation days are only counted when you take more than one at a time.
- Work from home if you have a delivery or chore to take care of.
- 3 months paid maternity and paternity leave.
- Commuter benefits including Lyft and SF Muni passes.
- A sunny, beautiful, well-stocked office in SoMa close to Caltrain and BART.
- Monthly gym membership allowance.
- Build your own laptop/workstation with any peripheral or accessory you need.
- Use the company card to order any work-related ebook or p-book, and buy anything to make your work environment more ergonomic.
- Financial and logistical assistance to help you relocate to the Bay Area.
- Immigration assistance.
- Birthday celebrations, weekly happy hours, company dinners, and semi-annual team retreats.
- Surprise gifts for the holidays!
Working at Render
We value high integrity, low ego, an affinity for continuous learning, and the ability to figure things out quickly. We're always open to being wrong, and we love to improve our work through reasoned discussion and constant feedback. We trust and respect each other tremendously which makes doing all of this easy.
We'd love to hear from you!