San Francisco, CA /
Product – Engineering /
When deploying applications in production, developers are forced to pick between two extremes: expensive yet simplistic platforms like Heroku, or complicated do-it-all-yourself services like AWS. By contrast, Render makes it easy to get up and running quickly, and also allows applications to scale and increase in complexity over time, preventing a transition to DIY infrastructure.
Our goal is to completely free up developers and teams from managing infrastructure. This will ultimately improve all software and enable entirely new kinds of applications.
Our platform serves billions of requests every month and we have tens of thousands of users including Cypress.io, Mux, Bloomscape, NYU, and US presidential campaigns. We have a proven product, consistent and rapidly growing revenue, and funding from the same investors behind Airbnb, Snap, and Stripe.
As Render's first support engineer, you will help our growing community of developers build exceptional products using Render. Our platform is built for developers by developers, and you will work closely with the rest of our team in helping our customers and advancing our mission. Although Render is headquartered in San Francisco, we are open to remote US-based candidates with prior support engineer experience.
Why join us
- Our user base has grown many times over in the last year and engineering-driven support lies at the heart of our expansion. As Render's first support engineer, you will set the industry standard for responsive and empathetic developer-focused customer support.
- We're solving a problem faced by every developer and engineering team. Cloud infrastructure is a massive and rapidly growing market and you will be at the center of it all.
- Top engineering executives from VMware, Dropbox, Heroku and GitHub are some of our biggest investors and cheerleaders.
- We are building an inclusive and collaborative company from the get go. Our focus on diversity, equality, and inclusion is reflected in our current team; as one of the primary public faces of Render, you will help spread our culture to every developer and business you interact with.
- The company is led by Anurag Goel, who was employee #8 and Head of Risk at Stripe. He helped Stripe scale from 10 to over 400 people and is applying many of the same principles that helped Stripe succeed to Render.
What you will work on
- Support developers using Render both one-on-one and in public channels.
- Become a trusted voice in the rapidly expanding global Render community.
- Help debug and fix customer issues across our stack.
- Contribute to a growing ecosystem of open source projects built around or on Render.
- Be the voice of the customer and channel their feedback to help improve our products and documentation and define the state of the art.
- Work closely with Render's founder and VP of Engineering to build our support organization.
Signs you are a great fit for this role
- You have a customer-first mindset and deep empathy for developers.
- You are a generalist engineer, fluent in at least one programming language and interested in learning more.
- You enjoy interacting with developers and are driven by the gratification that comes from fixing their problems.
- You are an excellent written and verbal communicator with a keen eye for detail.
- You thrive in a collaborative environment and believe in empathetic, direct, open and honest communication.
- You are self-directed; curious by nature and an impressively quick learner.
- Previous experience in a technical support role.
- A desire to develop your coding skills by working in Render's codebase to solve customer issues.
Bonus points for:
We encourage you to apply even if you don't identify with all of the attributes above.
Some of our company benefits
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision coverage with PPO plans and 100% of your premiums paid by Render.
- Four weeks paid vacation.
- 3 months paid maternity and paternity leave.
- Commuter benefits including Lyft and SF Muni passes.
- A sunny, beautiful, well-stocked office in SoMa close to Caltrain and BART.
- Monthly gym membership allowance.
- Build your own laptop/workstation with any peripheral or accessory you need.
- Use the company card to order any work-related ebook or p-book, and buy anything to make your work environment more ergonomic.
- Financial and logistical assistance to help you relocate to the Bay Area.
- Immigration assistance.
How we're dealing with COVID
- We are working remotely until it is safe to use public transportation and gather in groups again.
- We encourage everyone to take a half day off from work every week, because we can all use some time off to manage the additional stress from the pandemic.
We value high integrity, low ego, an affinity for continuous learning, and the ability to figure things out quickly. We're always open to being wrong, and we love to improve our work through reasoned discussion and constant feedback. We trust and respect each other tremendously which makes doing all of this easy.
We'd love to hear from you!