Designer Who Codes
Global (overlap 4 hours with US Pacific Time) /
We're on a mission to make programming more accessible by building the best, simplest, and fastest coding environment. Replit is a place to not only learn and practice programming but also to collaborate and ship applications.
What if you could influence how an entire generation of programmers code?
Despite incremental improvements, programming today has functioned the same way for almost 50 years. We're looking for contrarian designer-coders to shake up our stagnant industry. As the designer of our IDE, you'll have a chance to rethink how millions of coders think about and interact with programming environments.
Note that the listed qualifications are mere approximations. If you're a talented hacker but don't really fit the requirements then get in touch anyway.
Position: Designer Who Codes
In this role, you will:
* Create a learnable programming environment: In programming, there typically exists an inverse relationship between power and usability. We believe we can break the mold of overwhelming cognitive load in coding tools by making something that's both approachable and powerful.
* Engage in participatory vision-driven design: We live and breathe our community who we engage early on in our design process. However, we're unrelenting in pursuing our vision, and we don't shy away from original thinking.
* Find your passion: We grew to over a million users with just a 5-person team (we are 20+ now). We're here to do our best work and hold ourselves and coworkers to a high standard. We also care about working on something fun and engaging, so we automate/outsource away any drudgery.
* Work with an elite team of engineers: To reach the scale of one of the largest open computing platforms in the world, we had to build a resilient and scalable infrastructure. We battled dark web hackers, crypto miners, and script kiddies. We iterated on many different versions and evolved our system aggressively despite our growing user base.
* Build design systems: Because IDEs are some of the more complicated pieces of software, we have to create scalable UI/UX solutions. You'll be responsible for creating frameworks and systems that are adaptable and reusable.
You qualify if:
* You are a designer-coder: Not only have you mastered a design tool where you can create pixel-perfect UI, but you also know how to write frontend code.
* You are a generalist: We don't expect you to have experience in every aspect of design, but we hope you to be a hacker. Someone who can learn enough to solve any challenge thrown their way.
* You build tools: Toolmakers know how things can be more efficient, fun, and generally better because they look at workflows with a critical eye. You'll be a good fit if you like making tools.
* You are resourceful: We're a lean, efficient startup where you won't find heavy-handed management. You need to be able to come up with your own goals and know how to balance velocity and quality.
* You've worked or thought about devtools in the past.
* Experience designing products that follow Web Content Accessibility Guidelines
Ready to build the world's largest developer platform?