Sustainable Finance Consultant: USAID Forest and Biodiversity Support Activity
Central Africa / Congo Basin / Kinhasa / DRC /
Government Services – Natural Resource Management /
Who We Are
Resonance is a global consulting firm that delivers market-based solutions to address the world’s toughest challenges.
We work with changemakers in the private sector and the international development community to solve wicked problems and promote market opportunity. We specialize in development of partnerships, innovation, sustainable business models, and impact finance that drive impactful results.
Across our work, we integrate diverse voices and perspectives. We promote collaboration across sectors and up and down the chain—from the field to the boardroom. Throughout, we translate client ambition into action and impact on the ground.
Resonance is currently seeking Sustainable Finance Consultant candidates to help implement the USAID’s Forest and Biodiversity Support Activity. The Activity assists USAID’s Central Africa Regional Program for the Environment (CARPE) and other environmental stakeholders in the Congo Basin to implement strategies and actions that address large-scale threats to biodiversity conservation and forest management. The Sustainable Finance Consultant will support the Activity to scope mechanisms for sustainable financing of initiatives that support forest and biodiversity conservation objectives.
The Sustainable Finance Consultant will work closely with the US-based Impact Investing Advisor and members of the Resonance home office project management team and coordinate with the Activity team in Kinshasa. S/he will carry out desk research and phone or in-person interviews to support a ‘Root Causes’’ analysis to understand key market dynamics and binding constraints to unlocking more finance opportunities in line with activity objectives, as well as a rapid market assessment to understand specific markets (including regions, countries, sectors, and value chains) against feasibility criteria.
This will be a part-time consultancy position from June through September 2021 with possibility of extension. The position can be based in the Congo Basin with preference for Kinshasa, DRC. The Consultant will report to the Resonance Impact Investing Advisor and Project Manager and will also coordinate with the Chief of Party and Activity technical team based in Kinshasa.
Outcomes / Essential Functions
- Carry out desk research and interviews to identify financing approaches/models (e.g., Payment for Ecosystem Services schemes, carbon finance structures, green accelerator fund, etc.), business models (e.g., green enterprises), and revenue mechanisms that support sustainable forest and biodiversity outcomes in Central Africa
- Collaborate with Impact Investing Advisor to undertake a rapid market assessment in the sectors where these models operate, including leading development of scoping methodology. This market assessment may include an industry overview, demand analysis, pricing, and competition, approach to conservation and or sustainable NRM financing, among others
- Identify opportunities for and constraints to investment in financing approaches/models that align with program objectives
- Identify key players in the development finance and impact investing sector in Central Africa with an emphasis on DRC (e.g. donors, investors, financial institutions, companies, industry associations, foundations, etc.)
- Review the legal enabling environment for investing in the DRC, and legal relationships and agreements between for-profit enterprises and not-for-profit organizations working on forest management or biodiversity conservation
- Using feasibility criteria, assess the financing approaches/models, business models, and/or revenue mechanisms
- Develop recommendations for 1-3 high potential financing models that align with program objectives to pilot
- Other duties upon request
Required Education / Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, economic development, or a relevant field; MBA preferred
- Eight (8) years of experience in development finance or private debt/equity investments, including conducting market assessments/due diligence, structuring investments, and building pipelines. Experience in development finance or impact investing a plus
- Ability to effectively engage with financial institutions, civil society and community groups, private sector investors, and other potential partners and stakeholders
- Proven ability to develop and implement market or other qualitative assessments, including conducting interviews
- Must be able to represent Resonance and the USAID’s Forest and Biodiversity Support Activity with financial institutions and other stakeholders
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to work within cross-cultural, global team
- Regional experience in the Congo Basin
- Fluency in French; professional competency in English
- Understanding of investment ecosystem and legal enabling environment in the Central Africa region including Democratic Republic of Congo
The Sustainable Finance Consultant will be based in the Congo Basin, preferably Kinshasa, and the assignment may include travel within the DRC for in-person interviews, if applicable.
Work Authorization / Security Clearance
Eligibility to work in Democratic Republic of Congo.
The Equal Employment Opportunity Policy of Resonance is to provide a fair and equal employment opportunity for all associates and job applicants regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability. Resonance hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled.
Resonance believes that employees should be provided with a working environment which enables each associate to be productive and to work to the best of his or her ability. We do not condone or tolerate an atmosphere of intimidation or harassment based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
We expect and require the cooperation of all employees in maintaining a discrimination and harassment-free atmosphere.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls or emails please.