Market-Based WASH Specialist
Kigali, Rwanda /
Government Services – Natural Resource Management /
Who We Are
Resonance is an award-winning frontier market solutions firm based in Burlington, Vermont that helps a variety of donor, commercial and investor clients around the world to catalyze lasting impact. We envision a prosperous and just world of thriving markets, healthy ecosystems, and vibrant communities where business, governments and citizens work together creating a better world for all.
Resonance seeks to catalyze large-scale social, environmental, and economic change by fostering new and dynamic forms of collaboration. We do this by fostering public-private partnerships, facilitating sustainable investment, and providing deep analytical insights in frontier markets. We strive to merge strategic insight with practical on-the-ground knowledge into an integrated approach that emphasizes results.
Resonance was recently named one of Inc. 5000’s fastest growing privately-held companies. We seek candidates who are ready to apply their analytical and problem-solving skills to some of our planet’s greatest challenges in an entrepreneurial, fun, and fast-paced environment. We are looking for passionate and committed people who can work in a highly collaborative environment to deliver results for our clients and stakeholders around the world.
Resonance is currently seeking Market-Based WASH Specialist candidates to propose for an upcoming 5-year USAID/Rwanda-funded THRIVE Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH) project. The purpose of this activity is to increase access to water and sanitation services in Rwanda with an increased focus on partnering with district government and the private sector.
The Market-Based WASH Specialist will report to the Chief of Party and lead the design and execution of work related to engaging private service providers in the water and sanitation sector and developing partnerships between private actors and District governments in ways that enhance service delivery, access, and sustainability. This will include directly interfacing with large and small businesses, designing sanitation marketing strategies and behavior change messaging, developing financing models, supporting business capacity, and facilitating public-private partnerships. The Market-Based WASH Specialist will also be responsible for tracking and reporting on the related program activity progress.
- Develop and implement a sanitation marketing strategy in collaboration with District Sanitation Centers and sanitation product companies
- Strengthen supply chains for WASH products, especially sanitation products, by linking businesses in water and sanitation supply chains to District Sanitation Centers and other key regional distributors
- Coordinate business development services to increase the profitability, management efficiency, and operating scale of key stakeholders, including sanitation service providers, private water operations and management companies, and District Sanitation Centers
- Build relationships with financial institutions to facilitate access to finance for WASH companies and households to support WASH investments, particularly in sanitation
- Provide technical leadership for the identification, design, formalization, and management of innovative public-private partnerships that result in efficiencies in water system management and improved access to sanitation services
- Engage local enterprise accelerators/incubators to design innovation challenges to overcome key barriers to oversight and management of reliable water systems
- Support the project leadership team to integrate private sector engagement throughout the project strategic framework and work plans for program implementation
- Develop systems and work with the project team to track and report on program activities
- Document implementation successes, challenges, and lessons learned and share them with through regular program reports
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelors degree in business, international affairs, public health, or related field
- Minimum of seven (7) years of relevant technical experience in sub-Saharan Africa
- Demonstrated understanding of private sector and district government operating environment, and ability to support enterprise development, including finance
- Past private sector engagement, partnership development, and market/supply chain development experience, ideally in WASH sector
- Proven ability to manage a technical workstream and meet project targets and deadlines
- Experience in providing technical assistance, including organizing and conducting workshops and trainings
- Demonstrated experience working in cross-cultural teams effectively
- Excellent English language verbal and written communication skills
- Ability and interest to live and work in Rwanda
Preferred Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in a relevant field
- Demonstrated experience in market systems, market-based WASH approaches, enterprise development and acceleration,
- Demonstrated experience managing a U.S. Government funded sub-award program that serves clients in sub-Saharan Africa
- At least four years of relevant work experience in Rwanda
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please. Resonance is an Equal Opportunity Employer.