Customer insights are critical to building successful products and services. However, finding and interviewing the right people to uncover those insights is a time-consuming, expensive process that often results in researcher frustration.
Respondent is building a new category marketplace that connects researchers with high-quality participants. By reducing research timelines from 4-6 weeks to days and shrinking costs by 90%+, we make business-changing insights available to researchers of all types -- from in-house research teams at IBM and Microsoft to startup founders hunting for product-market fit.
We're looking for a Principal Engineers to own and scale our tech infrastructure.
🌎 The role is 100% remote based in Sydney, Australia
What you'll do
- Create and enforce the long term architecture and plan for our technology stack - you'll conduct research to validate your hypothesis!
- Build backend and frontend applications to support the growing needs of the business while improving and scaling them
- Work with both SQL and NoSQL databases and caching technologies like Redis
- Scale our infrastructure and introduce technologies like Docker
- Build complex matching algorithms
- Manage projects and collaborate with key stakeholders (engineers, product managers and designers, cs team)
- Take full ownership and responsibility for building, shipping, and maintaining core features and development deadlines
- Ensure developers manage development resource needs throughout projects and have a clear understanding of their goals (are on track to meet deadlines)
- Work across teams to understand dependencies and impacts on other services
- Work on code and solutions reviews. Assist with testing if needed - you wear many hats!
- Help translate work to User Stories
Who you are
- A seasoned engineer with 8+ years of experience developing and supporting production environments
- You have a deep understanding of the long term effects choosing a certain technology will or may have
- You have excellent communication skills: the ability to navigate complex technical concepts and collaborate effectively with fellow engineers and less technical colleagues
- You have production experience with Docker in the cloud (AWS/Azure/Google Cloud)
- Experienced with Node.js/typescript applications - most of our stack!
- Experienced with React as well as and understanding of Vue.js
- Passionate for taking ownership of your work and building a world class product
- You have an excitement for full stack development across multiple technologies and support of your code
- Great intellectual curiosity and a talent for troubleshooting bugs anywhere in the stack
- You have significant experience with MongoDB or SQL
- Experience with Elastic search
- Experience with managed infrastructure in AWS (or another cloud provider)
- Experience in angularjs
Working at Respondent is a unique experience. You will be part of a remote, diverse team. We care deeply about creating a cohesive, tight-knit culture that gets results. That’s why we offer our employees the following:
💰Competitive salary & Stock options
🧑💻 A dynamic remote-first work culture with full autonomy to create and experiment!
👩⚕️High-quality medical care
💻 A full office set up, including a MacBook Pro, desk, second screen, ergonomic chair, and wireless mouse & keyboard.
🤓 A structured remote onboarding process and continuous training with a supportive team.
🎨 Monthly Stipends for Learning & Development, Health & Wellness, and Family/Kids/Pets
🏖 Four weeks of flexible paid vacation per year (need a bit more for religious or country holidays--no problem!)
🏡 12 paid holidays per year
👶 Parental leave - 12 weeks fully paid with an additional optional 4 weeks unpaid
🌈 Company retreats for teammates to get to know one another in person (recent locations pre-Covid include New Orleans, San Antonio, and Wickenburg)!
Respondent is an equal opportunity employer
We understand it takes a diverse team of highly intelligent, passionate, curious, and creative people to solve the challenges involved in Respondent's long term success. Our dynamic team members have incredible perspectives to share, just as we know you do, and we take great pride in being an equal opportunity workplace and encourage candidates from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.