Ruby Engineer - Internal Services
You’ll be working on our Internal Services engineering team - focusing on building internal tools to help ReSci scale. You will get to work across multiple micro-services with Ruby, MySql, Aurora, Redshift, Node, Elasticsearch, Redis, serverless, many other AWS technologies, across our distributed systems. The systems you build will power Cortex, our core product -- an AI-marketing platform that makes over 3 Billion machine learning predictions daily, across 350+ Million users to automate marketing campaigns for some of the biggest and well-known brands on the planet.
Retention Science is looking for a Ruby on Rails engineer who is passionate about writing clean, well-tested code. You are highly driven, gritty, and scrappy when you need to be. You want to learn. You know how to balance trade-offs to move quickly, yet still create robust, maintainable code. You enjoy maintaining a high standard and discussing code quality, design patterns, and participating in design discussions with peers. You want to work in a highly collaborative and reflective team environment and enjoy jumping in to pair (in person or remotely) with other team members as needed to ship products!
In addition to having meaningful responsibilities and influence on our product design and decisions, you will also receive comprehensive exposure to all aspects of our business and power AI marketing for some of the biggest e-commerce brands. The code and ideas that you contribute will have a tangible impact on the team, company, and marketing-tech industry as a whole.
- Work in a small team, with other stakeholders across the Client Success, Onboarding, and Engineering teams to understand scaling bottlenecks and technical challenges
- Develop solutions to help our internal systems scale
- Streamline data integration and onboarding tools for clients
- Work across multiple 3rd party integrations to ensure data consistency and accuracy
- Management and implementation of monitoring and escalation strategies across our distributed systems
- Escalate any issues as needed, and fix them or work with engineering teams to get them fixed
- Provide technical leadership and expertise on all Retention Science products and features (Internally and Externally)
- 2+ years experience with Ruby
- Experience in designing and implementing scalable applications/microservices
- Experience creating robust, RESTful APIs
- Emphasis on clean, well-designed code
- Deep understanding of MySQL / relational databases
- Experience working with large datasets/databases, scaling memory-intensive applications
- Know how to design for failure
- Gritty mentality with a focus on shipping
- Startup work experience a major plus!
ReSci's mission is to make artificial intelligence accessible and usable for brands.
- Inspire with passion.
- Persevere with determination.
- Collaborate with unity.
- Grow without bounds.
- Create with impact.
- Lead with character.
Based out of Santa Monica, CA, our team consists of serial entrepreneurs who have all made Retention Science a leader in AI marketing. Our SaaS platform, “Cortex” helps online businesses target, engage, and retain customers. The Cortex marketing platform uses machine-learning algorithms to predict customer behavior by analyzing massive sets of demographic, social, and behavioral data to generate 1-to-1 retention campaigns personalized to each customer. Cortex makes 3.5+ billion predictions per day and processes 5k+ events per second.
Our founders have been recognized as the Ernst & Young Entrepreneurs of the Year, and our company was awarded Top 10 Big Data Startup of the Year by CRN, one of Fast Company's Innovation Agents, Top 10 Software Company in Southern California from SocalTech, and identified by Inc. Magazine as one of the most innovative startups. Retention Science has also been featured in Forbes, the Wall Street Journal, TechCrunch, Bloomberg, and Reuters, among other notable publications. In addition, the most prestigious startup accelerator in LA (part of the TechStar Network), as well as many reputable angel investors and Venture Capital firms have provided their support and backing for our business.
We're passionate about what we do and we put our people first! We are a close-knit family whose members drink too much coffee, work hard, and never cease to brainstorm creative new ways to improve our solutions. We foster a dynamic and exciting start-up environment that is conducive for innovative thought; join us if you are interested in working with our world-class team!