Head of Marketing
WHY WE'RE LOOKING FOR YOU
Retool has grown its revenue 5x over the last year and we’re on target to have another banner year, but we won’t get there without establishing and growing the marketing arm of our company. Today, several functions collaborate to tackle marketing, but we know this isn’t a) a best practice and b) tenable. We’re ready to bring in a seasoned, proven marketing leader that can build, define, and grow marketing at Retool into a performant organization that contributes massively to our revenue and growth.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
Your primary responsibility is to increase awareness of Retool, and you’ll do that by understanding where we’re at today, building a strategy for where we need to go, and begin executing against it. You’ll generate strategies and creatives for testing new channels (e.g. paid acquisition), as well as invest more in working ones (e.g. word of mouth, content marketing, etc.).
Over the next 3 - 6 months, we expect marketing itself to be a team of 3 - 5 people. (Right now it’s 0.) You’ll roll up your sleeves in the first few months (generating strategies + creatives, and testing channels), but be equally interested and capable in building and growing a team to continue investing in what’s working.
We’ll look to you to bring marketing best practices, proficiency across the various kinds of marketing, and set the tone for how marketing will operate at Retool. You’ll lead your function as well as a team to significantly grow Retool’s revenue this year and beyond.
WHO YOU'LL WORK WITH
You’ll partner initially with our CEO, CTO, and head of growth to get a sense of what’s working and what’s not, though you’ll immediately begin building your team. Whether that’s hiring a demand generation manager or a product marketer--it’s up to you!
Outside of the marketing function we hope to build, we’re a hard-working, passionate bunch who are motivated by collaboration, strong results, and bringing the impact of Retool to our customers. When we’re in the office, we enjoy eating lunch (and occasionally dinner!) together, and swapping stories. But at the root of it all, we come together to show our customers and not-quite-yet customers how Retool can make them and their companies more efficient and successful.
If this sounds like you, we’d love to hear from you!
IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL
- Define and manage a customer acquisition strategy. It’ll probably include content marketing, as well as SEO and SEM.
- Set brand direction. Develop clear positioning, value proposition and messaging, driven by qualitative and quantitative data.
- Build out a content marketing program that is generally interesting to our target market (developers), but also effective at attracting new customers.
- Craft the messaging and ensure the design out of our website and marketing materials speak to developers.
- Invest, consistently and constantly, in refining our target personas (today, developers).
- Recruit, hire and nurture top marketing talent.
THE SKILLSET YOU'LL BRING
- Significant experience marketing products towards developers.
- Experience creating compelling content, targeted towards developers, that generate leads in the short-term (e.g. generating awareness), as well as the long-term (e.g. evergreen content that ranks on Google).
- Experience defining and increasing awareness of a successful brand
- Experience defining product-market-fit at a rapidly growing startup.
- Past experience working together cross-functionally, with design, product, engineering, and sales, driving towards a common goal.