San Francisco /
WHY WE'RE LOOKING FOR YOU
Retool’s user base is growing quickly, and we’ve found ourselves with more evidence to answer an increasing number of questions that drive our business and product. We’re looking to hire our first Data Scientist to take the lead on analysis and metrics to inform our product and business. Today this work is spread across teams, with our Growth team the primary driver.
We’re looking for someone who is passionate about analyzing data across all domains, motivated by having an impact on the business and is constantly curious. This is the right role for someone who thrives from making sense of the blurry space that is data at high growth startup.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
As the first hire in this role you’ll play a pivotal role in building the data culture at Retool. Your scope will be broad — you’ll work with almost every team at the company on problems from analyzing user behavior to architecting our event infrastructure to partnering with GTM teams on forecast models.
We’ll look to you to help us establish KPIs and ensure we have the tooling to measure and access said KPIs. You’ll apply statistical knowledge and the scientific method to the data questions we face today around product analytics and pricing, and help us think critically about the questions of tomorrow.
You’ll also take on ownership of our data stack to ensure that your teammates are able to access the data they need to make decisions and technical teams are able to quickly implement events. We’ve already built out a solid stack on top of Segment, BigQuery, DBT and, of course, Retool, but we need your help to ensure it scales with the company as our user base grows.
Retool is a small but fast growing startup with more questions than answers and we’re looking for someone who is excited to wear many hats and jump in wherever is needed. This means each day will be a little different and we’ll look to you to juggle a variety of projects and deadlines. We are looking for someone who has a talent for finding a way forward with evidence-driven impact.
WHO YOU'LL WORK WITH
You’ll work most closely with Retool’s Growth team, but really you’ll work with almost every team at the company. You’ll be expected to partner closely with internal stakeholders, and help identify areas of need and opportunity within the organization.
THE SKILLSET YOU'LL BRING:
- 3+ years of experience working on analytics, ideally at a high growth company or SaaS business.
- Highly skilled at writing SQL. A strong enthusiasm for SQL, in all its flavors, is a plus.
- Experience working with, or a healthy interest in and knowledge of, event driven infrastructure and ETL processes.
- Comfortable with common git workflows and at least one scripting or statistical programming language(ideally Python and/or R).
- A solution-oriented growth mindset.
- A demonstrated knowledge of experiment design.
- Experience partnering with cross-functional stakeholders.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU'LL:
- Work with product and business (marketing, sales, success, support) teams to identify key questions and answer them with data.
- Develop key metrics and ensure observability via dashboards and other relevant tooling.
- Apply analytical skills to understand user behavior.
- Regularly communicate learnings to the company.
- Lead the collection and modeling of data in our warehouse — from new sources to integrating existing sources.
- Define tracking best practices.
- Be a self starter.
Retool is a fast way of building internal tools through our low-code drag-and-drop platform. We were founded in 2017 and graduated from YC the same year. Our Series A and B were led by Sequoia and we're backed by Daniel Gross (whose company is right upstairs from us!), John and Patrick Collison of Stripe, and Elad Gil, among others.