Retool is a fast way of building internal software. Our goal is to make it easier for engineers to build custom, internal software. Software has transformed industries, but it's expensive to plan, build, and maintain. And that's a shame, because it's so useful! Our goal is to make this large class of software faster, cheaper, and more enjoyable to build. Because then we'll have a lot more of it, and that's a good thing.
We're based in San Francisco. Culturally, we're tightly knit, and enjoy spending time together. If we weren't working at Retool, there's a good chance many of us would be friends anyways. We enjoy spending time with others who are fun to be around, have some sense of humor, and can reason, debate, and make decisions without bitterness.
We're profitable and growing quickly. Our investors include Sequoia Capital, Y Combinator, as well as the founders of Github, Gusto, PagerDuty, Segment and Stripe.
Our customer engineering team is critical to Retool: it drives most of our future growth, primarily by working closely with potential customers, and ensuring they are successful with Retool. You will completely own the technical relationship with our customers, and are fully responsible for ensuring they are successful and happy building internal apps atop of Retool.
Because most of our customers are technical, you should ideally be a generalist engineer who enjoys working closely with customers, while occasionally writing code.
Day to day responsibilities:
- Owning the whole customer journey, from end to end (starting a trial => ensuring they are successful even after they purchase)
- Talking with potential customers, understanding their problems, and assessing whether or not Retool is a good fit
- Demoing the Retool product, answering questions about Retool, and ultimately convincing them Retool is the correct solution
- Creating technical content to demonstrate best practices (e.g. sample apps, documentation, videos, etc.)
- Sussing out the blockers for a customer in adopting Retool, and overcoming them
- If there are technical limitations in Retool that need solving via code (e.g. a bug, a missing feature, etc.), you are encouraged to build it yourself
- Serving as the primary, ongoing technical point of contact for our users
- Answering technical support questions from our customers as they come up
- Scheduling and attending weekly check-ins with our largest customers
We're looking for somebody who is:
- An enthusiastic, strong, technical generalist
- Strong knowledge of SQL, various no-SQL databases, APIs, etc.
- Comfortable coding in Retool’s codebase (React / Node)
- Is confident and comfortable talking with customers and solving their problems
- Able to think on their feet, and solve problems during calls with technical customers